Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Videos Not Available on Base Station

maharrm
Tutor
Tutor

I recently started to experience the error, “Videos stored on Base Station are not available. Please check connection settings.” when trying to access locally stored videos in the Library (I have a VMB5000r5 base station recording to a microSD card). 

I have previously been able to access videos with Port Forwarding enabled and also without Port Forwarding when connected to my home network. 

I have again disabled Port Forwarding and am connected on my home network, but still receive the same error.

i can see from the storage setting info that my microSD card appears to be saving videos as the amount of space used is increasing.

Anyone else experiencing this error recently? Thanks. 

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Thank you for the feedback, the development team is investing these reports and I will be updating the thread with more information as soon as I receive it. 

183 REPLIES 183
emeraldnutmeg
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is there a work-a-round to re-establish recording to local storage on external thumb drive?  I don’t see any recordings for local storage via the website on desktop platform since updating the software app.  Don’t want to pay for subscriptions hence the local storage was why I purchased the product in the first place.  

CRHunter
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just discovered I’m having the same problem to this. I’m not sure what cuts me more the fact that I got robbed on the weekend or the fact that when I took a look at my local storage there was nothing recorded. I reformatted my drive to fad32 as at first I couldn’t see the drive and that did fix that problem, but a camera that doesn’t record is good for nothing so please help me get my system up and running or I’ve just sunk all this money into Arlo for no reason.

zoopy
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just started getting this yesterday. same issue on the VMB4540r3.. all ports in my router are matching the ports in the app.. no idea why it stopped working. I'm unable to look at my videos too outside of being on my own wifi network.

Nick75
Aspirant
Aspirant

The same thing is happening for me. No local videos. I have to pay to get it to work, not ok

CRHunter
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi nick to try and solve your frustration as I’ve just gone through hours of it I have now just solved my own issue myself before tech support could point me in the right direction. This is the process we I had to go through and how I have solved it. Naturally I got the cameras with no monthly membership on my mind. I was told there would be a free 7 day cloud. Turns out that perk was yanked years ago however no one told Harvey Norman. So you will need a smart hub and storage for it which I had to go grab after my cameras extra cost but still heading in the right direction and far cheaper then a membership. What you have to do is before you connect your smart hub remove all cameras and devices from your app. Then add smart hub device first, connect Ethernet cable then power, have storage connected already and make sure storage is formatted to fad32 my new storage  was set to exfad32(Harvey Norman techs helped me there as I am non tech savvy, but simply done now I have been shown.) Once hub is found on your app it will ask you to connect more devices to it this is when you re-sync your cameras, I used the use smart hum to sync cameras,( not so smart hub couldn’t find my two cameras) so I just synced the good old fashion way by pulling the camera from its housing and pressing the sync button. That worked and I repeated on the other camera. When these cameras are synced go into each camera go to the gear in the top right corner of the app, then the video setting and toggle the local 2k live streaming toggle, repeat on all cameras. From here all our issues are over, and the people that helped them selves to a few items the night before like they did in my case will now be caught on camera. To view your footage via direct storage access you go now to your smart hub under the devices tab should have paired devices now in with it, storage settings list and there should be your recordings clear as day, dragging down in the storage settings refreshes the recordings. So my cameras are the pro5s and I have no real idea if the process is similar for any other cameras, I would like to think it would be the same. I really hope this helps you and any others who find them selves going from cloud storage to local storage like I did. I feel like if I had gone the other way there would be no confusion just a process to fullfill. In summery remove all and repeat the set up process hub first then cameras, all the best and I have it all works out.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@emeraldnutmeg wrote:

I don’t see any recordings for local storage via the website on desktop platform since updating the software app. 

You were never able to see locally stored recordings on the PC, they are only available in the app.  So this is not linked to your software update.

What model cameras do you own, and what is the model of your hub?

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Are you now seeing consistent recordings?

zoopy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Negative. The port forwarding is now unavailable.. it just have tried multiple resets and gave it a static IP/port and configured router but port forwarding is Not Available

zoopy
Aspirant
Aspirant

I agree. that makes sense now.. i'm on iOS as well and the update broke the Port forwarding.. I was wondering what it was and it wasn't my router settings or the app settings. 

Mods please update app to fix local storage viewing...

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@zoopy wrote:

Negative. The port forwarding is now unavailable.. it just have tried multiple resets and gave it a static IP/port and configured router but port forwarding is Not Available

Does https://canyouseeme.org/ show the port as open?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@zoopy wrote:

Mods please update app to fix local storage viewing...

Or contact Apple for a fix.

zoopy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Wow, coming from a superuser "guru" shows me how arlo community likes dealing with their customers. Good job sir.

zoopy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes the port is open.

cammerz
Guide
Guide
Spoiler
I have a pro 3 floodlight connected to the hub where I save recordings in my library to a micro SD card, and have the app set up to allow me to view the recorded clips anywhere unconnected to my wifi connection. The new app now won’t let me view these recordings and tells me I have “found a premium feature” why can’t I view locally saved recordings like before?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@cammerz wrote:
I have a pro 3 floodlight connected to the hub where I save recordings in my library to a micro SD card, and have the app set up to allow me to view the recorded clips anywhere unconnected to my wifi connection. The new app now won’t let me view these recordings and tells me I have “found a premium feature” why can’t I view locally saved recordings like before?

Have you tried

1. navigating to devices
  2. selecting the smarthub
  3. selecting "Storage Settings"

That is where they are supposed to be with the "Feed" interface.

cammerz
Guide
Guide

Yep, found it there. Weird to put it there though, why not just under feed?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@zoopy wrote:

Yes the port is open.

Are you seeing local recordings when connected to the home wifi network?  Port forwarding isn't used unless you are away.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@cammerz wrote:

Weird to put it there though, why not just under feed?

No idea.

zoopy
Aspirant
Aspirant

when i'm away, i can't see the recordings. i used to be able to but not anymore after the iOS app update

emeraldnutmeg
Aspirant
Aspirant

Model VMS4340P - 1CCNAS

Arlo Pro 3 Cameras

D_man66
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue.  New update to 4.14 and can't access with port forwarding anymore.  Please fix this.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@emeraldnutmeg wrote:

Model VMS4340P - 1CCNAS

Arlo Pro 3 Cameras

Are you seeing the local recordings in the app?

If you see "Feed" and "Dashboard" in the app, then

• Go to the devices screen
  • Select the smarthub
  • Select "Storage Settings"

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@zoopy wrote:

Wow, coming from a superuser "guru" shows me how arlo community likes dealing with their customers. Good job sir.

As usual, there can be multiple points of failure. One company may need to work around another's actual problem. Fixing THAT problem is the better solution.  

And "gurus" don't work for Arlo. We're users like you, just with more experience.

cammerz
Guide
Guide

I’ve updated the app to the new UI but port forwarding is not working for accessing files stored locally on an SD card. Port forwarding is enabled and I’ve tried refreshing and setting it up again but the status stays as unavailable so I can’t access my videos away from the wifi

Wandidj
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have 2 VMB4540r2 hubs, at 2 separate locations.  I have been unable to view my saved videos via port forwarding at either location for the last couple of weeks.  I have confirmed the ports are open on my routers and the port is being forwarded to each hub.  I have 2 iOS devices (phone and iPad), both have the same problem.  I can view the local recordings via VPN.  The hubs have been working for years…