Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Yercowboy
Guide
Guide

Not able to set activity zone, only upper left of field of view is shown. Tried to change camera field of view, flipped 180° and back, tried all video adjustments and still same thing. Also on this camera the audio icon is grayed out but it works flawlessly.

45 REPLIES 45
tbeaulieu
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have this same problem and, while reading this, had an idea that seems to point to the problem. I just repeated this test with two different cameras and it produced my expected results:

Activity zones shows upper left corner.

Change camera to NOT 4k

Activity zone is correct.

Change camera back to 4k.

Activity zone is upper left only again.

So from what I can tell we need to set the zone while NOT in 4k mode. Not sure if it works correctly, once set back to 4k.

J-Boy20
Guide
Guide

Yeah I notice that myself too. What also work is turning off local recording under storage settings. I wasn’t sure if motion would work properly or not since there are others complaining about it not working. I guess they are working on a fix... who knows. I still haven’t gotten a phone call from there engineers to explain this problem. I have paperweight cameras so far.

Attics
Tutor
Tutor

Having the same issue on both cameras. Changing the local storage settings and to/from Auto HDR does nothing. I live on a busy street so not being able to change my activity zone means my camera is running out of battery in just one day, even with the solar charger attached. 

Chrisk2
Apprentice
Apprentice

This is happening to one camera, I opened a support ticket and they had me reset the base and go through the process of adding all the cameras back.

no luck, the other three cameras the motion window is normal.

i am getting tons of extra recordings from the street that is 60 yards away.

normally I could not get that as a motion event if I tried.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Chrisk2 wrote:

“...opened a support ticket and they had me reset the base and go through the process of adding all the cameras back.....”

We have to wonder why do they do that, when they’re supposed to be aware of this problem. It has been widely reported in more than one thread by many users.

Why can’t the support people just say “it’s a known issue and they are working on a fix” and stop wasting users time. It aggravates everyone even more.

I have given up on it, couldn’t wait any longer and miss the return deadline, so I have sent mine back. Realizing how little, things have changed from way back when I purchased my first Arlo. New products continuously pushed out to market, new gadgets and new technology but same old s%$&%.

dennmoore
Tutor
Tutor
Same level of frustration. Brand new a week ago. Never worked. Significant time with support. Only see top quadrant of picture in video and activity zone settings. Useless and no solution thus far from Arlo. Will return for another brand in couple days
J-Boy20
Guide
Guide
Dennmoore

Might as well return it when you can. As you can tell Arlo does not care about there customers. You haven’t even gotten a response or even a attempt. Imagine running into more issues down the road. If you can’t get help now you won’t get help going forward. If I can return mines I would do so in a heartbeat.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The engineering team is working hard to resolve the issues being reported here with Activity Zones, SmartHubs falling offline etc. I don't have a solution to provide at this time but will post again here as soon as I receive more information from the team.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused and appreciate your patience while we work to resolve these issues.

JamesC

trevorns
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had same issue for 1 of 2 Ultra cameras and spent a couple hours with support.  After trying everything (drop, add, reboots), we clicked the factory reset button on the base station then re-added the cams.  Fixed the zoom issue for zones.

Hope that helps!

Phoney49
Luminary
Luminary
Is it possible that your reset left the max resolution switch off, which would 'fix' the zoom issue?
If so, I can confirm that 'fix' works for me as well.
Yercowboy
Guide
Guide

Nothing has worked with my one ultra cam, the other ultra is fine. I have tried everything mentioned on this thread and no luck at all. I do think it is interesting that the image is exactly what the default activity zone is before you adjust the borders.

magnetandsteel
Aspirant
Aspirant

Came here for support on the same issue. Cameras with solar panels installed on Friday, and we are unable to accurately set the activity zone on either camera.  Very frustrated, because as others have noted, it’s killing the batteries.  

Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
Activity zones aren’t the only problem.... Arlo changes the way Ultras detect motion to do so by changes in pixels and NOT heat any longer.... therefore the activity zone doesn’t mean jack crap - if pixels change its recording.

This issue is stemming from a recent 12/6 update that also botched all motion detection generally causing all of the useless recordings.

I totally give up on this garbage
jengio77
Guide
Guide

Same problem, support ask me to resyncronize camera after missing alert issue.

Now I'm unable to set activity zone.

Please rollback the updates! I'm an first time Ultra customer, after many many many initial problems I was an happy user...

...from December only problems!

Gazbrob
Aspirant
Aspirant
Exactly the same issue for me with three Ultras only just installed. Very annoying!
Gazbrob
Aspirant
Aspirant
Just tried this! Turn off Local 4K streaming and works like a treat no issues.
Turn it on and straight to top left corner.
There you go engineers the community have isolated the problem for you. Now fix it.
TTitt
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have two new Ultra’s recently setup with the exact issue described on this threat. I wasted time trying to fix it until I gave up and figured an update would eventually fix it. But I couldn’t believe such a basic feature wouldn’t be working.
trevorns
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, try the factory reset pin hole button on the base station.  Fixed this issue for me.

Rumbler
Initiate
Initiate

Turning off local recording worked, Thank you!!!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The development team is hard at work to resolve these reported issues. I do not have an ETA for a fix to be released but will provide an update as soon as I have more information.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused and appreciate your patience while we work to resolve these issues.

JamesC

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The major issues being discussed in this thread have been resolved with the most recent Ultra Camera and SmartHub firmware updates. Please check here to make sure your systems automatically updated to the latest versions:

Arlo Ultra VMC5040 - 1.070.50.2_205_0c7c8e1 - 19th December 2019

Arlo SmartHub VMB5000 - 1.15.0.4_297_aa40f04 - 18th December 2019

If you're having a different issue, please open a new thread here in the community, reach out to me in a private message directly or contact support to further investigate: Arlo Support Team

A big thanks to the community for helping our engineering team troubleshoot these issues and thank you for your patience while we worked to release these updates.

JamesC