Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Ultra connection issues

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Carle1029 Aspirant
Aspirant

I have had so many issues since upgrading from Pro2 to Ultra.  I have 5 pro2 cameras and 2 ultra cameras connected to ultra base.  Motion and recording seems to work ok now (issues with this before), but it is nearly impossible to view any camera.  I randomly get black screens, device offline, device failed to connect, or it just spins and spins and never connects.   It is always different cameras and different issues - some will work and some will not.  I called support and they tried swapping out the base - same issues.  They had me try changing wifi channels - same issues.  I did not have these issues with my Pro2 base, cameras and base in same locations.   I am so frustrated that I can not rely on my security cameras and at this point would prefer to get a refund but I am past Best Buy return date.   Please help!

Model: VMB5000 | Arlo Ultra SmartHub
JamesC Community Manager
Community Manager

Carle1029,

WiFi interference and poor signal strength can cause many of the symptoms you describe here. What does the signal strength icon show for the cameras experiencing issues/?

You might try locating your SmartHub closer tot he cameras experiencing the issue as this will help improve the signal strength.

JamesC

Carle1029 Aspirant
Aspirant

All cameras have 2-3 bars.  I have moved them all right next to the house just to rule out that issue (which also means they are fairly useless since they are not capturing my whole yard).  As I mentioned, my pro2 cameras were in the same and further locations without experiencing these issues.  The issue  is only when the cameras (same cameras in same locations) are hooked to the Ultra base along with the 2 ultra cameras.  I tried disconnecting the ultra cameras, same issues.  All cameras (ultra and pro2) see the same issues, each time I try to view them it is a different set of cameras with issues - they never all work.  Always a mix of black screen, spinning, connectivity issues.  

Chosace Aspirant
Aspirant
I am having the same issues. Sometimes (rarely) the cameras will connect showing a live feed. Most of the time, it won't connect. Arlo needs to fix this issue ASAP or they will lose a lot of customers. I don't even want to renew my subscription if my cameras don't even work!!!
Guru StephenB Guru
Guru

@Chosace wrote:
I am having the same issues. Sometimes (rarely) the cameras will connect showing a live feed. Most of the time, it won't connect. 
  1. How far are the cameras from the base?
  2. What signal strength are you seeing?
  3. How far is the base from the router (too close can result in WiFi interference)
Chosace Aspirant
Aspirant
Base station is 2 ft. Away from all cameras. Signal strength is max power. 3 bars
Guru StephenB Guru
Guru

If the base is also right next to the router then try moving it further away (as far as the cable will reach).

Carle1029 Aspirant
Aspirant
With the arlo pro2 base in the same spot, I had no issues. It is only the ultra base that has issues.
Guru StephenB Guru
Guru

@Carle1029 wrote:
With the arlo pro2 base in the same spot, I had no issues. It is only the ultra base that has issues.

It might still be seeing interference @ 5G with the ultras.  So if it is close to the router then try moving it as far as the cable will reach.

Carle1029 Aspirant
Aspirant
It is (and has been) as far as the cord can go. Other ideas? I am so frustrated by this system.
Guru StephenB Guru
Guru

@Carle1029 wrote:
It is (and has been) as far as the cord can go. Other ideas? I am so frustrated by this system.

You can of course put back your old base, and reconnect the older cameras to it.  Then see if the issues are resolved with those cameras.

Carle1029 Aspirant
Aspirant
I think I already mentioned, but to be clear. I do not have the issues with my old base. When I put the old base and cameras they work perfectly. That is why I am getting frustrated. I would love to return the ultra and go back to my old pro2 setup that works.
Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation