Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 25 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
Carle1029
Guide
Guide

I have had so many issues since upgrading from Pro2 to Ultra.  I have 5 pro2 cameras and 2 ultra cameras connected to ultra base.  Motion and recording seems to work ok now (issues with this before), but it is nearly impossible to view any camera.  I randomly get black screens, device offline, device failed to connect, or it just spins and spins and never connects.   It is always different cameras and different issues - some will work and some will not.  I called support and they tried swapping out the base - same issues.  They had me try changing wifi channels - same issues.  I did not have these issues with my Pro2 base, cameras and base in same locations.   I am so frustrated that I can not rely on my security cameras and at this point would prefer to get a refund but I am past Best Buy return date.   Please help!

25 REPLIES 25
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Carle1029,

WiFi interference and poor signal strength can cause many of the symptoms you describe here. What does the signal strength icon show for the cameras experiencing issues/?

You might try locating your SmartHub closer tot he cameras experiencing the issue as this will help improve the signal strength.

JamesC

Carle1029
Guide
Guide

All cameras have 2-3 bars.  I have moved them all right next to the house just to rule out that issue (which also means they are fairly useless since they are not capturing my whole yard).  As I mentioned, my pro2 cameras were in the same and further locations without experiencing these issues.  The issue  is only when the cameras (same cameras in same locations) are hooked to the Ultra base along with the 2 ultra cameras.  I tried disconnecting the ultra cameras, same issues.  All cameras (ultra and pro2) see the same issues, each time I try to view them it is a different set of cameras with issues - they never all work.  Always a mix of black screen, spinning, connectivity issues.  

Chosace
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am having the same issues. Sometimes (rarely) the cameras will connect showing a live feed. Most of the time, it won't connect. Arlo needs to fix this issue ASAP or they will lose a lot of customers. I don't even want to renew my subscription if my cameras don't even work!!!
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Chosace wrote:
I am having the same issues. Sometimes (rarely) the cameras will connect showing a live feed. Most of the time, it won't connect. 
  1. How far are the cameras from the base?
  2. What signal strength are you seeing?
  3. How far is the base from the router (too close can result in WiFi interference)
Chosace
Aspirant
Aspirant
Base station is 2 ft. Away from all cameras. Signal strength is max power. 3 bars
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

If the base is also right next to the router then try moving it further away (as far as the cable will reach).

Carle1029
Guide
Guide
With the arlo pro2 base in the same spot, I had no issues. It is only the ultra base that has issues.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Carle1029 wrote:
With the arlo pro2 base in the same spot, I had no issues. It is only the ultra base that has issues.

It might still be seeing interference @ 5G with the ultras.  So if it is close to the router then try moving it as far as the cable will reach.

Carle1029
Guide
Guide
It is (and has been) as far as the cord can go. Other ideas? I am so frustrated by this system.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Carle1029 wrote:
It is (and has been) as far as the cord can go. Other ideas? I am so frustrated by this system.

You can of course put back your old base, and reconnect the older cameras to it.  Then see if the issues are resolved with those cameras.

Carle1029
Guide
Guide
I think I already mentioned, but to be clear. I do not have the issues with my old base. When I put the old base and cameras they work perfectly. That is why I am getting frustrated. I would love to return the ultra and go back to my old pro2 setup that works.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Carle1029 wrote:
I think I already mentioned, but to be clear. I do not have the issues with my old base. When I put the old base and cameras they work perfectly. That is why I am getting frustrated. 

I suggest contacting support:  https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/

What model is your old base?

RichyRich50
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Carle1029,

If I may add, what is your Internet speed? more importantly your upload speed? I currently have 4 ultra cameras and a Video Doorbell. My download speed is 1Tb and upload is 100Mps. If I am reading your initial thread correctly you are experiencing  "low latency, lag and delay buffering". I believe your issue relies on your network speed NOT the equipment. Please advice your upload speed at this will have the most impact on your live stream.

According to Alro:

Your Arlo system requires the following:

• A high-speed Internet connection to sustain the following average bandwidth use per camera:
    • Arlo Ultra cameras: 3 Mbps upload per camera
    • Arlo Pro 3 and Video Doorbell: 2 Mbps upload per camera
    • All other Arlo cameras: 1 Mbps upload per camera
  • An Internet router with an available Ethernet port if you are using an Arlo SmartHub or base station

You stated you have "5 pro2 cameras and 2 ultra cameras connected to ultra base".

5 pro 2= 5Mps

2 Ultra= 6Mps

Total = 11Mps not including other devices in your home.

Here is a quick read: 

https://kb.arlo.com/000062043/What-are-the-minimum-requirements-for-installing-and-using-my-Arlo-sys...

Carle1029
Guide
Guide

Old base is pro2.  I have contacted support and they have not been able to resolve.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@RichyRich50 wrote:

If I may add, what is your Internet speed? more importantly your upload speed?

This could be a factor if too many cameras are streaming simultaneously. 

Though a single base can only manage 5 simultaneous streams - so the actual requirement with single base is only 9 mbits.  Personally I use two bases to overcome that - though you do need to be careful on what cameras are grouped on each base if you use cross-triggering.

Carle1029
Guide
Guide
Actual upload speed seems to be about 24 Mbps. Download is 150 Mbps.

I was not aware a single base could only stream 5 cameras. That doesnt solve the issue since sometimes it wont even stream 1, but good to know. I didnt think about setting up multiple bases. How does that work?
What is the best way to set up multiple bases (what is cross triggering)? I have an ultra base and a pro2 base. 2 ultra cameras and 5 pro2 cameras. Thanks!
RichyRich50
Aspirant
Aspirant

Carle,

what is cross triggering?: I believe is having different generations of Arlo cameras on the same base stations.  You can probably set your  Arlo Pro Smart Hub as a WIFI extender or it's own separate hub. Keep in mind your Arlo ultra cameras will only work with the Arlo Pro Smart Hub in your case. 

I would recommend splitting your cameras evenly :

pro2 base with 3 pro2 cameras

Arlo Pro Smart Hub with 2 ultra camera and a pro2 camera 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dfh__HV467c 

https://kb.arlo.com/5568/How-can-I-extend-the-range-of-my-Arlo-system

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Carle1029 wrote:
what is cross triggering?

@RichyRich50's reply on this is incorrect.

Cross triggering is setting up the system to record on camera B when motion is detected on camera A.

For instance, if you have two cameras covering a porch (or whatever), you can set up a custom rules so that both cameras will record video when either one detects motion.  In this example, both cameras are cross-triggered.

You need to have both cameras on the same base to do this.

BrianLosAl
Initiate
Initiate
I did a direct replacement of a full 5-camera Arlo Pro 2 to an Arlo Ultra system and it is terrible. Cameras drop connection or they don't record. I rarely get alerts from my subscription when motion is detected. I literally swapped out the old system for the new one with the base and the cameras in the exact same spots and I never had these issues with my Pro 2 system. Completely unacceptable. Good thing I got them from Costco because if they don't fix this with an update they're going right back.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

BrianLosAl,

The Ultra cameras may not perform identically to the Pro 2 cameras in the same environment due to higher bandwidth requirements.What does the signal strength icon show for the Ultra cameras that are behaving poorly? How far away are they from your SmartHub?

JamesC

Davidfwarchol
Tutor
Tutor
They keep talking around the problem. I’m having all the same problem. No one at arlo can help. I have been working on this for weeks.
Davidfwarchol
Tutor
Tutor
They will not fix this issue. I have try just about everything. Arlo is by far the worst camera system on the market.
Davidfwarchol
Tutor
Tutor
I 10000% agree. I even payed for all the online add-ins thinking that would help. They got me good sorry to anyone out there that has gotten ripped of by arlo.
dharts
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same connection problem.  I've tried the Ultra camera at a different location with an older base station and at a second location with a new base station.  The Ultra Camera will not connect to the internet consistently.  It will occasionally connect - for no more than 1-2 seconds - and then disconnect.    But it typically has no connection whatsoever and is utterly useless.

Discussion stats
  • 25 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation