Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Ultra VMS5440 heavy battery drain when unarmed

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Essem
Aspirant
Aspirant

System working well for three weeks. All 4 cameras then disarmed and fully charged. All showed then 100%. After 7 days one camera showed 72% battery charge remaining. The other three showed either 100% or 99%, as I would expect. Is the first camera, showing 72%, at fault, surely drain on the battery when unarmed should be negligible? Any advice on what might be causing this and how to fix it would be appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Essem,

How far away is the camera from the SmartHub? What does the signal strength icon show for this camera? Poor signal strength can cause increased battery consumption if the camera is struggling to maintain it's connect with the SmartHub.

For tips on extending battery life, take a look here: How can I extend my Arlo camera's battery life?

JamesC

Essem
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi JamesC thanks for your reply.

All four cameras are around five metres from the hub. Two have 3/3 bars showing the other two have 2/3 bars. Those with two bars showing, one holds its charge at 99% disarmed over 7 days. The other over the sa,e period discharged to 72% unarmed. All take charge and reach 100% without problems. Stewart.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Essem,

Live streaming will drain the battery much like motion triggered events and recordings. How much live streaming takes place on that camera?

JamesC

Essem
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi James, agreed. But there is no live streaming on this camera. Like the other three it was disarmed for 7 days. When I cjecked all three after being disarmed for a week 3 were on 99% or 100% charge. The fiurth had fallen to 72%, unarmed unused completely for a full 7 days. Whilst like most rechargeable batteries a small discharge when not in use can be expected but with 3 cameras OK why should the fourth drain to 72%. All are being charged using the same cable that came with the set, all recorded 100% after a charge. My simple analysis suggest a faulty battery, would you agree?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Essem,

A faulty battery is a possibility, I recommend charging it back up and test again to see if you experience the same results. If you do, please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate the issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

Essem
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks James, I will do as you suggest and keep a watch on this battery. Strangely, with it charged and now fully armed, the battery is disharging well in line with activity. Thanks for your help.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation