Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
bgriffith1990
Aspirant
Aspirant

I currently have two Arlo Q cameras and would really like to add an outdoor wireless camera. From what I am reading, the new base station has to be plugged in to an ethernet port on a router. However, there are limited internet options where we live and we use a hotspot through AT&T. Is there any possible way that I can still manage a setup with an Arlo Ultra, even though we don't have a router?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

You can use a wifi extender that 1) has an etherent port 2) is always connected to the hotspot, but be wary of the data you are going to use via the hotspot... data rate is a min of 2Mbs up for Ultra and it can possible really do a hit on your data plan.

Would def do a speed test of data first.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
DamianR
Apprentice
Apprentice
No, the Ultra is based around being internet connected.
Whilst THEORETICALLY you could.connect an Ultra hub, set it up using a temporary connection to the hotspot (not wifi) and then rely on the SD recordings (as happens during internet outages) I wouldn't suggest it. Also you would not have control via the app etc etc

A stand alone camera , or the arlo that uses mobile phone network would be your best option I think. Arlo Go Mobile.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

You can use a wifi extender that 1) has an etherent port 2) is always connected to the hotspot, but be wary of the data you are going to use via the hotspot... data rate is a min of 2Mbs up for Ultra and it can possible really do a hit on your data plan.

Would def do a speed test of data first.

Morse is faster than texting!
bgriffith1990
Aspirant
Aspirant

TomMac,

Thanks so much for the suggestion. That is exactly the type of solution I am looking for. We have an unlimited data plan, very rarely hit 22GB where speeds supposedly "slow down", and have never experienced slow down due to living in a rural area where the network is not congested.

I am going to give this a try. Thanks again!

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation