Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Ultra Activity Zones

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
brianhollings
Star
Star

Hello,
I am re-opening this conversation surrounding Activity Zones missing for non-smart plan users. My item was closed without a true solution. Please find the original thread here: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Ultra/Activity-zone-settings-missing-for-both-of-my-Ultras/td-p/1...

I wanted to let everyone know that their solution was to update the knowledge article instead of fixing the issue for Ultra owners. If you reach out to support they now point out that a smart plan is required. I took a screen shot (attached) of the article back in October that states Activity Zones worked without a smart plan as long as they were connected to power. This is not first time that they updated content in an article instead of addressing the issue. Link to current knowledge article: https://kb.arlo.com/1001908/What-are-activity-zones-and-how-do-I-create-them

5 REPLIES 5
dcfox1
Master
Master

Not sure what you are saying has changed, It has always been you need smart or connected to AC. The link you provided and your pic said the same. 

brianhollings
Star
Star

The article from October vs. the article now does not say the same thing. You can see in the screenshot that the article used to say:

You need the following:

• A compatible Arlo camera:
    • Ultra 2, Ultra
    • Pro 3 Pro 2, Pro, Wire-free
    • Essential wire-free
    • Video Doorbell
    • Go, Q, Q Plus, Baby
  • Either of the following
    • An Arlo Smart subscription to use activity zones with wire-free camera(s)
      • Note: You must subscribe to Arlo Smart to use activity zones without plugging in your wire-free camera.
    • A connection to a continuous power source.
      • Note: if you don't subscribe to Arlo Smart, you can still create activity zones, but your camera must be connected to continuous power to use them.

dcfox1
Master
Master

Yes it says connected to continuous power. That is what AC is. Not Battery. Even the solar panel is not continuous power. 

brianhollings
Star
Star

Yes, I am aware. I have both of my Ultra cameras connected to AC power. Activity zones have been working fine for me for the past year prior a change that occurred around October.

What I am trying to point out is that in the support article from October, it stated that I was able to create an activity zone without the smart plan as long as I was plugged in, but now they have updated it so that only the PRO 4 and PRO 3 cameras are compatible with this configuration.

blong7699
Star
Star

Yes, you are absolutely correct (as I have just learned). This is yet ANOTHER FEATURE THAT EXISTED UPON INITIAL PURCHASE THAT HAS SINCE BEEN REMOVED WITHOUT PRIOR EXPLANATION OR NOTICE!

In my case, Activity Zones was accessible within the iOS application despite the fact that I do not have any active paid or trial subscription. However, a couple of weeks ago I noticed that I was receiving numerous motion alerts that were outside of my established activity zone boundaries. I spent hours attempting to figure this out, then removed one camera and re-added it to my SmartHub. Once I removed this camera I noticed that my Activity Zones settings were gone which led me to this thread! These cameras are absolutely useless without Arlo’s extremely overpriced subscription plan!!! This is extremely frustrating because it is not the first time that Arlo has changed it terms and conditions over the past 2 years. These changes have fundamentally altered the ability of a “NON-SUBSCRIPTION” or local user to actually use this product for it’s intended purpose as a security camera. And certainly not for the outrageous price they charge for entry into this marketplace with the “Ultra” series!

If you are contemplating purchasing this camera system be forewarned that you will be sadly disappointed in its capabilities without a paid subscription! 

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation