Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Ultra - 2 smart hubs, cannot connect camera onto second smarthub. Camera shows offline.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Subhastar
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

Having trouble connecting an existing camera to a second smarthub.

I bought a 3 camera ultra setup with a VMB500 smarthub. I had these cameras around the front of the house, working fine. I then added in a video doorbell and arlo chime. I was able to change the position of the front door camera and moved it to the back door, since the doorbell now had the front door covered.

I noticed that the wifi signal to the back door was only 1 bar, the smart hub light being amber sometimes, blue at other times. There was a slight delay in the live feed from the back door camera, but not too bad.

Today, I decided to get a VMB4540 smarthub and try connect the back door camera to it, for a better performance (and also so that I might be able to add more cameras later on). It connects briefly, but the LEDs on both the VMB4540 and the camera turn amber after about 30 seconds, no image is ever seen.

When I check in the arlo app, the smart hub is listed as online, but the camera is offline. Seems like the camera refuses to stay linked to the camera, almost like the camera wants to stay connected to the VMB5000.

I have the VMB5000 connected to an Orbi RBR750 router through ethernet, sitting right next to it - this works well.

The VMB4540 is connected to the ethernet port of the RBS750 Orbi satellite.

I've tried to re-synce the camera and reset the smarthub, but not sure what the issue is.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Bring the camera close to the hub to see if the same thing happens. If not, I'd suspect signal blockage or interference as being the cause. Repositioning the hub and/or camera may be the solution.

Subhastar
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
I was doing the syncing with the camera right next to the hub.
I've since reconnected that camera to the original hub without any problems, but still has the weak signal.
Maybe the VMB4540 is faulty?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Faulty is always a possibility. Swap at the store.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation