Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Sudden battery drain. Orange motion dectected icon on app, no recording

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
DocB
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've had these cameras for over 12 months so they're out of manufacturer warranty, but they may be covered under Australian consimer law as the expected life has to be more than a couple of years...

All of a sudden the battery in one of my cameras drains within 48 hours where it would previously last a month or so.

I haven't changed anything at home with my router, the camera or basestation positions. I have not installed any other electronic devices that could cause interference. I've removed ghr battery for half an hour and replaced. I've rebooted the base station numerous times. I've deleted activity zones and remade activity zones.

Nothing's helped. For some reason the orange motion detected icon is often illuminated on the devices screen within the app suggesting the camers is detecting motion, however it's not recording videos as it should if there was motion present. When I walk in front of the camera it records my presence.

Is the motion detection sensor faulty?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

One thing you don't seem to have done is to remove the camera from your account and then add it back in.  That won't fix a hardware problem but at least would eliminate a software issue.

Have you swapped cameras around to see if it's somehow the location causing this?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Are you using activity zones?

DocB
Aspirant
Aspirant

I took the camera off the account and re-added it. It improved for two days then started draining rapidly again.

I am using a single activity zone as I have done since I initially set-up the camera. 

For the record, I haven't changed anything and the camera is ridigly mounted with a screwed in mount.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

DocB,

It's important to note that activity zones will not alleviate battery consumption. The activity zone functions as a filter, removing content from your feed/library if the activity occurred outside the zone. Any detectable motion within the cameras field of view/PIR range will still cause the camera to consume battery.

It sounds like your camera may be detecting very frequently, causing the battery to deplete rapidly. You might consider changing the position of the camera to eliminate these detections or reducing sensitivity levels until you achieve the desired balance between battery consumption and motion detection.

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation