Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

SmartHub base station VMB4540

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
BertieFender
Aspirant
Aspirant

A day ago my Base Station went offline. I had to reset it to connect again. My SmartHub base station VMB4540 is connect to the LAN and displays the blue light on front of unit and the client list on NetComm Model No: NF18MESH shows it is connected. However the SmartHub cannot be discovered on setup. I have tried factory reset and all. Changed from 5.0GHz to 2.4GHz to re-discover the SmartHub as advised by Arlo Supoort but still unable to discover the SmartHub from the iphone app. Any ideas please? I raised a ticket but the answer didn't work.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BertieFender
Aspirant
Aspirant

My VMB4540 SmartHub was 'bricked'. I had a local internet guy sort it out for me.

I bought a new one and is working again,

The Arlo support team despite been polite were hopeless, and I mean hopeless in responding back to me. What's the point of a ticketing system where each time you go back to square 1.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Try using a pc web browser to login to the my.arlo.com login portal to add the base station. Ensure that the pc is connected to the local network.

BertieFender
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for reply, appreciated. Did not work. I can see the SmartHub connected to the LAN on the Client ID via my router. I can see the ARLO wireless via my iphone, however cannot see the Arlo wifi signal from the router wireless Client ID. I tried to add a Mac filter on router but failed. Back to support and if no more help I will ditch ARLO. Spent way to much time on this fix.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BertieFender wrote:

cannot see the Arlo wifi signal from the router wireless Client ID.

I am confused on why you are looking there for it there, as the base isn't connecting to the router via WiFi.

The base WiFi is a closed network used by the cameras. It's not something you can connect to from any other devices. The network isn't hidden, so you should be able to see it on your phone or PC if you browse for networks. Are you seeing it in those lists?

BertieFender
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks again for the reply.

Yes Base is connected to LAN and visible via Client List in router.

So SmartHub wifi is closed network and therefore not visible on client List of router but is visible from PC and iphone from 2.4 wifi.

My setup is correct then. As base station is connected with blue light, just cannot discover via wifi from phone app or PC browser on wifi.

I’ve raised a support ticket. I will post resolution when I receive it.

BertieFender
Aspirant
Aspirant

My VMB4540 SmartHub was 'bricked'. I had a local internet guy sort it out for me.

I bought a new one and is working again,

The Arlo support team despite been polite were hopeless, and I mean hopeless in responding back to me. What's the point of a ticketing system where each time you go back to square 1.

bmrptm
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having identical problem to you, right down to totally useless support.
Any clue as to what bricked the original?

Reason being I had an earlier smart hub which showed this problem, then immediately bought a VMB4540 to replace, only to find I still have the same issue!

Furthermore there does not appear to be a separate downloadable manual for the VMB4540, which was another half hour of searching for the unfindable - it's incorporated into the Arlo 3 manual.

BertieFender
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sorry to read you have same issue with support and the smarthub. Support has been disappointing and far below what I am use to when dealing with Australia companies.

I had a technician look at my set up, he suggested that the latest firmware update may have bricked the unit. I bought a new one and so far so good. 

If it wasn’t for the investment I have made into 4 cameras I would of walked.

Good luck, hope you resolve your issue.

bmrptm
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, eventually managed to solve the problem by using an ethernet connection for my computer to directly access my router, then doing factory reset of hub.
I suspect there may be a bug in the mobile app or wifi connectivity.
The hub was then visible on the "Add device page".
Like you, very disappointed in support and total lack of standalone detailed instruction and troubleshooting documentation for this hub.

That said, when it is working it does work very easily and reliably.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation