Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
rgschmidt
Guide
Guide

Is there a signal booster available for this setup. One of my cameras is only about 60ft away and not much wall obstruction from the base with week camera strength. Wish the base was not a stand alone unit and I could connect this through my Linksys wireless mesh nodes. I have multiple nodes throughout the house and garage with great wireless connections. For something thats supposed to work up to 300 feet, this Arlo seems to be pretty weak.

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

300 feet is standard WiFi spec but only exists in perfect environments. We've seen <30 feet being a problem due to walls, house construction, 2.4GHz interference, etc.

The only ways to improve signal is to 1) reposition the base more centrally to the various cameras or 2) add a second base so that problem cameras connect to it after the base is located closer to the camera. There are no extenders for Arlo but you can use a WiFi or powerline extender to help relocate the base properly.

Finally, the Ultra system uses both 2.4 as well as 5GHz bands, depending on signal quality between the base and camera. If 5GHz is used for any reason, the usable distance between camera and base likely will get smaller since 5GHz simply can't penetrate walls, etc. as effectively as the lower 2.4GHz band.

rgschmidt
Guide
Guide
Thanks for the reply. I perfectly understand about walls and obstructions but this system sucks. I have 4 blink cameras mounted at easily twice the distance of the arlos and many more obstructions that work fantastic. Arlo totally failed on their signal strength quality. My next move will be to hook the base up through my Linksys mesh system that works great with everything else I have on it. To buy a costly second base is a poor solution to an existing problem especially when the first camera is only about 5 foot away and one outside wall between the base and camera with only two bars of signal strength. Very poor design.
Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation