Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Replaced Pro 2 with Arlo Ultra cameras but shows poor quality video when zooming in

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
UnionJack
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi I just purchased 2 x Arlo Ultra cameras to replace my Pro 2's. I was informed by Arlo chat support that they are compatible with my original Arlo Base Station (VMB4000)

Unfortunately the video quality when zooming in seems to be very poor. I was expecting at least to be able to read registration plates that I can from the same distance with the naked eye, for instance. 

Do i need to upgrade to an Arlo Ultra Hub to allow for full resolution? If so, this is disappointing. 

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@UnionJack wrote:

I was expecting at least to be able to read registration plates that I can from the same distance with the naked eye, for instance. 

No, the human eye can resolve more than a 4K camera - especially one that has a wide field of view.  Another aspect is that the bit rate the camera uses is fairly low, and limits the amount of detail.

@UnionJack wrote:

Do i need to upgrade to an Arlo Ultra Hub to allow for full resolution? 

No.  

Have you downloaded a video from the library, and confirmed that it is 4K?

Note livestreaming will generally be 1080p.  There is an option to set it to 4K, but that only works locally with the app (not the browser).  

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation