Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Dahca
Guide
Guide

Hello, I have run into a major problem with record time settings.

I tried the setting to record until motion stops (up to 300 seconds)

But these settings never worked right.

It would only record about 10 through 16 seconds even if movement keeps happening.

It will also never detect movement of the same object after this as it keeps moving.

So I figured I would try the manual setting and tell it to record up to 60 seconds of the video once movement is detected.

This setting is very iffy as it will record for what I tell it to for the most part, but there are times it will completely ignore this setting and only record for a few seconds.

Any clue what is going on here?

10 REPLIES 10
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi Dahca,

Try raising the motion sensitivity to see if that may help with the recording time. You can also read here to learn how to optimize motion detection: How do I optimize motion detection for my Arlo camera?

Dahca
Guide
Guide

I have tried this already.

I have the camera set to 100% since the default wasn't really detecting much (in time for it to be seen)

I noticed this a lot with random animals where it will only record for a few seconds completely ignoring the 60 seconds I set it up for.

Also, there are times I would walk out into its view to test it and it turns on with motion, but when I check to see what it recorded, it only recorded a few seconds.

Other times when I did this, I have seen the camera come on (little red lights), but it didn't record until a few seconds after I was already in its view.

I am also noticing that when I put an SD into the hub, it is recording a lot more to the hub.

Many times I will see nothing recorded to the cloud, but if I check the hubs SD, it recorded a ton of video that I never knew about since it forgot to alert me about it.

Seems you only get alerts if a video is sent to the cloud storage.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Are you able to see the videos through your library on the web client? Make sure you don't have any filters enabled on the Arlo app on your phone device and the web client on your computer.

Dahca
Guide
Guide

I am never able to view videos that record to the SD on the hub unless I remove the SD and put it in a macro SD slot on my computer.

The app and the web view claim I can without doing that, but you really can't.

dcfox1
Master
Master

@Dahca wrote:

I am never able to view videos that record to the SD on the hub unless I remove the SD and put it in a macro SD slot on my computer.

The app and the web view claim I can without doing that, but you really can't.

You never could see local recordings on the web, not sure where you saw that. In app you can if you select hub where it says cloud. But you still need to click the icon of that recording to download it that takes a couple seconds and is not ideal. The cloud is more simple to view recordings on both app and web. I just use the local as backup. 

https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it

Dahca
Guide
Guide

The fact still remains that there is a lot of recordings going to that hub SD card, and I mean a lot.

The cloud is only getts some of the recordings and I am missing so much until I check the SD card.

I tossed a 14 gig SD in the hub and its getting filled up in about 2 to 3 days.

Kinda sad that I have to wait until I get home to see what all went on while I was away.

I am still also seeing recordings that are only a few seconds long when all of them should be 60 seconds as that is what I have it set to do.

The settings for record until motion stops (up to 300 seconds)  never worked properly as it recorded videos for only a few seconds and stopped even though the motion was still clearly going on past that few seconds.

And here is something that really bothers me.

I had a package delivered to my back porch and that has never happened before EVER.

and the camera never recorded who did that.

It never picked up anyone walking up my yard onto my back porch, but yet there the package was sitting there.

I have solar panels on my cameras so they are always charged.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

If you're not able to view your cloud recordings through the web client on your computer even when your local storage recordings are showing, I would suggest to contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue along with the other problems you're experiencing. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

Dahca
Guide
Guide

recap since I think I'm not being understood.

1: more recordings are going to the hub SD then the cloud so I miss a lot until I get home to check the SD.

2: can't view hub SD recordings on my phone when connected to the same network.

3: the record time is not being followed at all as I get videos of under 20 seconds a lot.

4: setting to record motion until motion stops (up to 300 seconds) don't work properly due to step 3.

5: to fix that problem I tried setting to record for 1 min (60 seconds), don't work properly due to step 3.

6: I have sensitivity at 100%

7: There are times when motion is in progress and NOTHING is recorded even when directly in front of the camera

(package on the porch with no recording of who left it there.)

(I walk around in the camera's range and it stops recording me before the 60 seconds is up)

Dahca
Guide
Guide

The phone app (when on the same network as the hub) don't have access to any recordings on the hub's SD card.

It never has had that ability since I put it on my phone, (yes the setting to alow it is turned on)

According to what i read, port forwarding is not needed unless you are trying to access it from outside the network.

I am also still seeing recordings that DO NOT get sent to the cloud but they show up on the SD.

I am also still seeing recordings that DO NOT follow my settings, they all should be 60 seconds long and I still see many that are under 10 seconds, some even under 5 seconds.

Dahca
Guide
Guide

So, I got about 14 gigs of video recordings on my hub's SD, there is no way to access that from my phone.

I have to remove the SD and put it into my computer to see what is on it.

Since there is no way to see the SD from a phone when connected to the same network, you need to either update that app so we can, or edit the app information so it reflects that we can't access the SD because it currently says we can and we can't.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation