Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
adel97
Aspirant
Aspirant

Greetings everyone!

I got the Arlo Ultra VMB5000r5 and disabled the motion detection.

What is the recommended size and model for the SD Card for 4 cameras recording in 1080p.

10 REPLIES 10
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@adel97 wrote:

and disabled the motion detection.

Why?

@adel97 wrote:

What is the recommended size and model for the SD Card for 4 cameras recording in 1080p.

It needs to be at least 16 GB.  https://kb.arlo.com/000062124/How-do-I-record-4K-videos-to-a-local-storage-device

16 GB will give you at least 36 hours of video storage at 1080p, which is actually quite a bit. I use 128 GB cards myself.  

adel97
Aspirant
Aspirant

I disabled motion detection because i want it to record at all times and it will be indoors.

Does it overwrite the old recordings when its full? and what 256GB sd cards are compatible with the system?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@adel97 wrote:

i want it to record at all times and it will be indoors.

That won't happen unless you 

• power the cameras
  • purchase CVR subscriptions for each camera

The continuous recordings are made the the cloud, and there is no way to store them on the SD card.

JBakst
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just installed and formatted the Sandisk 256Gb Extreme Pro... Seems to be working just fine.  Hope this helps.

adel97
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is this the model that is compatible? 

-SanDisk Extreme Pro 256 GB microSDXC Memory Card + SD Adapter with A2 App Performance up to 170 MB/s, Class 10, U3, V30

How many hours would this sd card be able to record using 4 cameras? My intention is to have it record for a few weeks at least.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@adel97 wrote:

Is this the model that is compatible? 

-SanDisk Extreme Pro 256 GB microSDXC Memory Card + SD Adapter with A2 App Performance up to 170 MB/s, Class 10, U3, V30

Per the link I posted above: The Arlo SmartHub supports up to class 10 UHS-3 V90 class microSD cards.

So the card is compatible. V30 is 30 MB/sec, which is more than fast enough.

FWIW, I am using this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XWZWYVP

@adel97 wrote:

How many hours would this sd card be able to record using 4 cameras?

Arlo's bandwidth requirements are 1 megabit/second per camera for 1080p.  Translating that to storage:

256 GB = 256000 megabytes = 2048000 megabits. 2048000 seconds is about 568 hours of total storage. (2048000/3600 = 568.89)

In practice you'd get somewhat more storage, since the cameras actually use a bit less than Arlo's bandwidth requirement spec.

@adel97 wrote:

My intention is to have it record for a few weeks at least.

As I said above, you can only save motion-triggered recordings to the SD card.  You cannot save manual recordings or set up continuous recording.

adel97
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for the help.

I want to use it in an indoor location that will have constant movement. Is there no option to record at all times? because we will need reviewing events based on the recordings. motion detection is disarmed because the use of the cameras will not be for security reasons.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@adel97 wrote:

Is there no option to record at all times? 

There is no option to record to SD at all times.  The only recordings made to SD are motion-triggered recordings.

You can purchase a continuous recording subscription (CVR) - which is not the same as an Arlo Smart subscription.  That gives you continuous recording to the cloud, but not to the SD. 

CVR is pretty expensive (US pricing: each camera is either 14 days of storage for $9.99 per month or 30 days for $19.99.)  I tried it on one camera for a bit, and thought it was somewhat cumbersome to use, so I dropped it.  One limitation is that there is no way to download a segment of the recording.  You have to play it, and then record your screen.

adel97
Aspirant
Aspirant

If the camera is disarmed, would it trigger motion recording or does it rearming?

If the camera motion is always triggered that it would record almost all the time (if there is a motion) correct?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@adel97 wrote:

If the camera is disarmed, would it trigger motion recording

No.

@adel97 wrote:

If the camera motion is always triggered that it would record almost all the time (if there is a motion) correct?

You can set the trigger to max sensitivity, and also perhaps enable audio triggers with max sensitivity for good measure.  You'd probably want to set a fixed duration for the recording (probably the max allowed), and avoid using "until motion stops".

You could also add in some rules that cross-trigger (record on every camera when any camera triggers).

The essential indoor camera triggers on pixel detection (not IR).  If you aimed that at something always moving, then that could also be a way to increase recording frequency.

You'll get a lot more recordings by doing some or all of these things. I don't think recording would be near continuous, but it's not something I've tried (since continuous recording isn't my goal).

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation