Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Norman619
Aspirant
Aspirant

So I have been reading the many posts here regarding the function and performance of the Ultra.  This is supposed to be an upgrade yet it doesn't support external hard drives for local storage, 4K requires you pay to upgrade, the camera only records 4K to an SD card inserted into the camera which has to be removed and inserted to a PC to view, poor battery life, and when set to regular HD resolution the Pro2 provides better video quality.  Do I have this right?

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Currently, yes. Also note that you get a free year of premier and an announced update to the firmware/app to allow access to the local recordings later this year. It's supposed to provide overlap with each other so the free year expiration will have the local access if you decide to not continue the subscription.

Norman619
Aspirant
Aspirant
@jguerdat wrote:

Currently, yes. Also note that you get a free year of premier and an announced update to the firmware/app to allow access to the local recordings later this year. It's supposed to provide overlap with each other so the free year expiration will have the local access if you decide to not continue the subscription.

This sounds like a big step backwards.  I really don't have any interest in cloud storage.  I was looking to store locally to large hard drives like I am doing now with my Pro2 system.  The idea of 4K only saving locally to an SD card is a bit ridiculous for a modern security system.  Modern WiFi can easily handle 4K streaming to the hub for storage.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Researching the Arlo systems, all of them, points to the same thing. These have never been anything but cloud-based so it's not a step backwards at all. The addition, down the road, of local access is a plus.

Arlo has never been an IP camera and has never been marketed that way.

brh
Master
Master

@Norman619 

Firstly, the local storage is NOT in the camera, but rather in the base, just like the Pro bases, the difference is that the Ultra system does not use external hard drives or flash drives, but rather uses a micro sd card located in the base.

I have both a Pro2 camera and an Ultra camera mounted side by side, and while the Pro2 is awesome, the Ultra is better in many ways even though there are still bugs remaining with the Ultra system, they are being fixed very quickly. I am so impressed with the Ultra cameras that I intend to purchase 4 more of them. 

Brian

LarryQwest
Star
Star

@Norman619 wrote:

So I have been reading the many posts here regarding the function and performance of the Ultra.  This is supposed to be an upgrade yet it doesn't support external hard drives for local storage, 4K requires you pay to upgrade, the camera only records 4K to an SD card inserted into the camera which has to be removed and inserted to a PC to view, poor battery life, and when set to regular HD resolution the Pro2 provides better video quality.  Do I have this right?

Yup, you unfortunately have it right. The so called "upgrade" charges you more, gives you way less value, and promises you fees for the life of the camera if you want to unlock the 4k capabilities or want cloud storage. The Pro 2 has become their best camera system again, and it didn't even need to relaunch. Battery problems are now known to be part of a bigger problem now that the federal class action suit against them has just surfaced. They knew this product was a failure before it launched!

ItsPlayTime
Apprentice
Apprentice
The free year is only for the Arlo Smart Premier service plan. It does not include 4k recording which is the PVR (Premium Video Recording) add on plan. The PVR plan is an additional $1.99 per camera monthly or $19 dollars per camera yearly..
For me, the difference in video quality is well worth the $19/cam/year fee.
RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
From what I’ve read in these forums it does not play nice with the Arlo doorbell.
Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation