Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
BestBuyGuy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just had my training on the new Ultra as I'm a Best Buy employee. I can tell you now you just doomed this product. No free 7 day recording any more which is your #1 selling point, then after a year having to pay not only for basic 1080p recording but an additional fee for 4k recording is ludicrous. Initially you were supposed to offer free 7 day recording and then pay for 4k recording quality. I can tell you right now the #1 reason the Arlo brand outsells the Ring and other competitors we sell is because of the free 7 day cloud recording. Ok, so you must be able to access your local recordings from your cellphone then unlike with the Pro series. WRONG! You now have to struggle to remove this microSD card instead of the more convenient standard USB flash drive and put it into your computer like before.

So lets review. You will pay an almost unthinkable amount for the 4k Ultra, after a year have to pay for basic 1080p storage, then pay again if you actually want to record in 4k, and not even have the option to access local recordings in 4k without yanking this inconvenient microSD card out. This is your new premium product?!

I personally own a 6 camera Pro 2 and love it. I have impressed so many customers by pulling out my phone and showing them the system I have and explaining in detail how proudly it works and SAVES you money in the long run. Now I can explain in detail how the new Ultra system will extort you for money every year on top of its industry leading premium costs. Where is the benefit to the consumer? I know the margins are greater with the Ultra for us but this is a very bad long term plan.  Once Wyze comes out with their outdoor camera you will really feel the pain. Dumb Arlo, just dumb.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

We've heard your concerns and have an exciting announcement based on your feedback. Take a look here for more information: Local and Remote Access to Local Storage for Arlo Ultra via Arlo App Expected in Second Half of 2019

JamesC

View solution in original post

40 REPLIES 40
Dymo33
Star
Star

I couldn't agree more! I was going to try a one camera system since the Pro2 finally works like it should but after learning this no way. The main reason I went with Arlo originally was the free 7 day recording storage. Now you want me to pay more on top of an already high price? And then again for 4k recording quality? Arlo is no longer worth the premium up-front cost. At least have 1 or 2 days free for basic storage after a year. This is so stupid. I hope this isn't a sign of bad descisions to come since you separated from Netgear. Makes me very happy that I have the Pro 2 system.

cgallatin
Star
Star

I couldn't agree more. I was on the fence for a couple years when it came to purchasing this brand. Saw the ultra was coming out so I decided to pull the trigger only to be vastly disappointed by a number of things, the 7 day free storage being one of the main reasons. I could see the justification in the subscription (though I am genrally against this type of formula) if the cameras worked, but sadly they are sub-par across the baord. One area that needs improvement, the Ultra doesnt recognize and capture a person walking by at the edge of my property in front of my house. The camera is on the porch, as most people would place, yet cant capture any activity at the street. I understand these have a distance limit, but if they cant even capture scenes from the road from a home that sits the average distance from the street, whats the point? Same exact issue in my back yard between my house and the detached garage, the Ultra doesn't have a good depth of view (i've read its even worse than the previous models). How can Arlo think this is ok?

I had heard there were concerns and issues from the community over the years, but thought it couldn't be that bad. Well, I was wrong, the Ultra falls short. I will be returning to Best Buy in the next 2 weeks (Best Buys return policy is 15 days, as you know being an employee there) if they dont vastly improve across the board. 

Alô
Guide
Guide

I bought the Arlo Pro 2 (4 camera) set for this very own reason. And every times my co-worker comes to me for suggestion on security camera (I have Ring, Kuna, and Arlo), I always recommend them Arlo and explain to them the 7-day free cloud storage benefit. Of course they all screamed after hearing $500-$900 camera sets, but after realizing the long-term benefit without monthly fee, they all buying into it. Arlo needs to rethink its strategy as this approach does not seem to be working out good for their business and brand down the road.....

detroitlions
Star
Star

I had the Arlo Pro for the past two years. Lately I have had some issues with the base station dropping the Internet connection.  With one day left on my Best Buy extended warranty, I brought it back.  I ended up buying the Arlo Pro 2 due to the recent connectivity issues with the Ultra as I will gladly pay the premium for the latest and greatest. Will Arlo charge me after a year for non-Ultra cameras?  Looking at their price chart after a year it will be $50 / year per camera for 4K cloud access?  I 100% agree this will adversly impact Arlo's sales of the Ultra.  Props to Nest for listening to their customers complaints and coming out with a 5 day cloud access subscription (I ended up buying the Nest Hello and an indoor camera after that).  Is the mobile realtime video quality going to be that much better in 4K vs 1080p to justify the additional costs with the subscription? Besides my smartphone I hightly doubt I'll be accessing the video on a 4K device.  Any feedback would be great as I still have the Arlo Pro 2 unopened.  Thanks!

LarryQwest
Star
Star

I just canceled my order from Best Buy (this morning!) after reading this. I was told by customer service chat that it went to free 7 days after the first year, like all the other Arlos. Aparantly that is what was originally planned and they changed their mind and decided to screw us all. I already have a 2 camera Pro2 setup that I love (didn't love for the first 6 months due to issues), and I will be expanding that system instead. Really poor buisness plan Arlo. The Pro and Pro 2 are now greater than ever with the free 7 day plan. I will NOT pay a premium for a product to then be forced to have a montly/yearly subscription fee. Not now, not ever. Also reviews are popping up for the new Ultra already and they are TERRIBLE. Lots and lots of issues. I dodged a bullet for sure.

Alô
Guide
Guide
I believe the required subscription fee only applies to the Ultra. The Pro and Pro 2 still offer free 7-day cloud storage. I’m that type of people who always gotta have the latest & greatest product, but not this time on the Ultra.
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Dymo33 wrote:

I couldn't agree more! I was going to try a one camera system since the Pro2 finally works like it should but after learning this no way. The main reason I went with Arlo originally was the free 7 day recording storage. Now you want me to pay more on top of an already high price? And then again for 4k recording quality? Arlo is no longer worth the premium up-front cost. At least have 1 or 2 days free for basic storage after a year. This is so stupid. I hope this isn't a sign of bad descisions to come since you separated from Netgear. Makes me very happy that I have the Pro 2 system.

Completely agree!

Like some competitors are already doing, even 24 - 48 hours would work, as long as cameras and recordings can be accessed/viewed from mobile device.

You want to be able to do at least that, what good is a camera if you can’t get to its recordings. Let’s not even talk about having to move the local SD card to a PC for viewing videos.

Longer cloud storage should be optional, I’m sure many users want that. However it can’t be forced onto everybody.

TwinCitiesJHawk
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for this info, I had no idea.  I just canceled my order with Best Buy for the Ultra, and i'll stick to the standard Pros I have set up.

kennabt
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks so much for the post. I have 4 Arlo2s and was just going to pull the trigger on upgrading with 4 Ultras, but no way without the cloud storage. Forget about it.

dreday
Initiate
Initiate
I’ll add my feedback in hopes that Arlo reconsiders. I was planning to move my Pro 2’s inside and add 5-6 new Ultras outside. The more I think about it the subscription fees really bother me. Seems ridiculous to sell a camera being marketed for its 4K recording and then to charge extra for it. Arlo you likely lost out on $1500+ from me.
Uribees
Star
Star

Email sites like Engadget and other news sites so it can bring about bad press to hopefully get them to change their mind.  If there is enough outrage then the sales will speak for themselves. 

Dymo33
Star
Star

I cancelled my 1 camera Ultra to try after learning this, but the poor picture quality and myriad of bugs also had something to do with it. I will in no way be forced to pay a subscription fee for basic cloud recording because that is the #1 reason I bought my Pro 2 system. The free basic plan was their bread and butter that brought countless people in and established their name in the market. That is what made their name and success. I will enjoy watching the Ultra fail after this critically bad corporate decision. 

Sm06320
Tutor
Tutor
That’s extortion for you. I have never been a big fan of netgear modems, but Arlo change my prospective of their products. Now, instead they have alianeted fans of the product and forcing us to pay for 7-days of cloud serves without a simple notice. We use these camera for security, and now I cannot even access my videos. Searching for a new, alternative product as you read this.
Sm06320
Tutor
Tutor
I am being prompted to pay for cloud storage on my Arlo Pro 2 system.
st_shaw
Master Master
Master

@Sm06320 wrote:
I am being prompted to pay for cloud storage on my Arlo Pro 2 system.

You still get 7 days free on Pro 2.

Sm06320
Tutor
Tutor
I guess Arlo is trying to be tricky by not showing customers’ videos with a “having trouble prompt”, which brings up pricing for cloud services.
Playero
Initiate
Initiate
Ley me know more about the wyze I will return my ultra system and buy that one instead
Playero
Initiate
Initiate
I will return them too
Ngaham
Initiate
Initiate

I have the Arlo Pro 2’s and I have been prompted to pay for the Arlo Smart Subscription. I hate that they took away the free 7 day cloud storage. This was one of the main reasons that I bought and recommended this system to my family and friends. 

Sm06320
Tutor
Tutor
The prompt comes and goes. Most likely a ploy from upper management to push sales to the cloud systems. If I force close the app, my Library can be accessed. Happened three times already where I had to force close the app.
st_shaw
Master Master
Master

@Ngaham wrote:

I have the Arlo Pro 2’s and I have been prompted to pay for the Arlo Smart Subscription. I hate that they took away the free 7 day cloud storage. This was one of the main reasons that I bought and recommended this system to my family and friends. 

I haven't heard of any plans to take away the free 7-day cloud recording for Pro 2s. In fact, Arlo has stated the 7-days will remain in effect for cameras other than the Ultra.  What you see is probably a glitch, due to all the changes going on behind the scenes to work with the new Ultra cams.

"If you have an Arlo Wire-Free, Pro, Pro 2, Go, Q, Q Plus, or Arlo Baby camera, you don’t have a ‘paid’ subscription. You currently have and will continue to have all the benefits that were included with the purchase of your camera, including 7-day free cloud storage."  From the below link.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062163/Where-is-the-Basic-Subscription-plan

ant
Mentor
Mentor

I hope Arlo reconsiders returning its free service for its Ultra and future products. I will avoid Ultra. However, I have a bad feeling Arlo is going to take the free service from their older products too. 😞

ReturnUltraOrNo
Tutor
Tutor

I just purchased the Arlo Ultra and now reading coments.  I AM going to return this to BestBuy after reading all the issues with qulity and the changes to their 7 day recording.  Question, I read the statement from Arlo about still supporting the 7-day recoding 'If you have an Arlo Wire-Free, Pro, Pro 2, Go, Q, Q Plus, or Arlo Baby camera, you don’t have a ‘paid’ subscription. You currently have and will continue to have all the benefits that were included with the purchase of your camera, including 7-day free cloud storage."  

Question, If I buy an Arlo 2, will I recive this 7-day free Cloud storage and for how long?  I am activly looking for other options like the NEST...

Thak you!

BestBuyGuy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Legally Arlo can't take away the 7 day free cloud recording I'm told from original owners. The Pro series will continue to have the free 7 day cloud feature according to the company's FAQ. The Basic Plan was marketed as never expiring, and I remember seeing some of the original sell sheets in store stating that. They would have a massive class action lawsuit if they cut it from current owners. Going forward they could cut it and re-market the Pro series, but current owners would be grandfathered in. If they did this I would bet they'd be out of business in no time. Their brand was built on the free 7 day cloud recording as a HUGE feature against their competitors.