Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
BinaryDichotomy
Aspirant
Aspirant

I recently purchased the Solar Charging panel for my Arlo Ultra cams that I have outdoors, and had no idea the charging cable wasn't detachable??? 8' is hardly long enough for many outdoor placements, like porches and under overhangs. The cameras need to be charging in order to enable CVR cloud recordings, which we need, otherwise of course this wouldn't be an issue.

This is extremely shortsighted on the part of Netgear. Does anybody have a solution for this, or do I just need to return everything and find a camera system that is more expandable?

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I don't know the reason for the short cable but it may be due to voltage drop over longer distances. The outdoor AC charger is rated for 9v and has a 25 foot cable while the indoor one is 5v and just a few feet. The reason for this is the voltage drop over the longer distance. The solar panel doesn't create a ton of current so may not be able to deliver sufficient current over a long run.

I don't know for sure, though.

Pucksterpete
Apprentice
Apprentice

BinaryDichotomy

You could try some of these connectors USB 2.0 Female to Micro USB Female...

I used them to extend my power cord to my Arlo Pro3 Cam

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GJJLNX7/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pete

n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Hi Binary!

You could also create a post in the ‘idea exchange’ section of the community asking Arlo to consider making solar panels with longer cables in n the future.

Thanks!
Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation