Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Recently stopped receiving notifications for activity zones because they require AC power?

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
BinaryDichotomy
Aspirant
Aspirant

We recently stopped receiving notifications for activity zones on our cameras and couldn't figure out why, then discovered that apparently now they require AC power??? Why the change? Activity zones are THE reason to have these cameras, and they are marketed as wireless cameras...so why would you need wires to enable the most defining feature that we need, which is to detect activity in activity zones so that recording is triggered? When we bought these cameras, this wasn't a problem, and now we effectively have $1500 of worthless cameras, there is no way we can plug them all in, nor do I have any desire to purchase another $600 worth of solar panels just to get a feature back that was available when we purchased the cameras.

PLEASE BRING THIS FEATURE BACK. Let the user decide what to do, even if it means draining battery life or whatever. I cannot for the life of me understand why you would choose to nerf your products like this. Ridiculous.

EDIT: I cannot attach a file of type .jpeg, but .jpg is ok? I'm on an iPad where I cannot change the file extension. I have a photo of the verbiage that shows activity zones now require AC power. .jpg and .jpeg are the same file type!

7 REPLIES 7
BinaryDichotomy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Trying to attach an image, which has a .jpg extension, and getting an error that I can't attach .jpeg...so your community software renames the filetype to something that isn't supported??? I converted it to a png, see the attached screenshot to see the verbiage stating this is only available on AC power now.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

It doesn't help that Arlo uses the label "activity zones" for a couple of things.

What are activity zones and how do I create them?

If you read that, you will see that it says:

Your camera must be plugged in to a power source to use activity zones. You must subscribe to Arlo Smart to use activity zones without plugging in your camera.

This has always been the case. Nothing has changed on that front. Check the date on that page.

What has changed is the Arlo Smart subscription regime. Maybe you got hit by that. You could not be the first victim.

Arlo subscription plans and cloud recording

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
thedan424
Guide
Guide

Not totally agreeing here.  I have a premier subscription with my cameras.  All but one of them are connected to a solar panel to recharge the battery.  Until some time last week ALL OF THEM were able to use the activity zones.  Then the infamous icon of trouble struck.

Now only the one that is connected to power works.  The rest have the disclaimer.  Something changed and it was not on my end.  This is part of a recurring pattern with ARLO and one reason if asked I now recommend against their use.

The offer that tempted me was 'wire free' - which included not needing to run power outside.  Things worked great for my few first test cameras and so I went all in.  With that I dropped a major investment in NEST. 

Now a few grand later it is all a waste.

Ranks up there with STILL using FLASH and not being able to address more than one session.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@thedan424 wrote:

All but one of them are connected to a solar panel to recharge the battery. 

Solar panels do not replace permanent mains power. They just charge the batteries.

The Ultra manual, launched with the cameras, so nothing new there, says "These features are available only while the camera is plugged in", including "Activity zones".

When did you buy your Ultra cameras? You weren't, by any chance, using the first year's "free" cloud account that comes with Ultra cameras?

If there was a major change in the service, we would have seen a torrent of complaints here. You may not be the only victim, but I can't recall seeing a sudden influx of similar reports.

Puzzling.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
thedan424
Guide
Guide

The last round of cameras were added in the last 2 months.  Until last week all of them behaved as I described - smart and with activity zones.  It was only in the last week or so that all have flipped to the icon of death as far as I am concerned.

I will continue to consider this 'documented feature' a fatal flaw in the product for anyone who asks.

If I have to run power I may as well run network and end up with a better web experience with NEST.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@thedan424 wrote:

The last round of cameras were added in the last 2 months.  Until last week all of them behaved as I described - smart and with activity zones.  It was only in the last week or so that all have flipped to the icon of death as far as I am concerned.

How many cameras do you have in all?

How long have you had the original cameras?

You did not answer my question about the end of the "free" subscription. One year for Ultra cameras, three months for Pro 3 cameras.

Activity zones need permanent power OR a paid subscription. That has always been the case.

Just another user
thedan424
Guide
Guide

10 Cameras across 3 base stations

Arlo smart premier (5 pack) plus individuals for the remaining 5

Seems that should enable what we are talking about.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation