Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 45 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
ArloUltra83
Apprentice
Apprentice
Surely you can do better after over a year to develop this feature.
1.Allow easier access to local storage remotely (see how Eufy does it)
2. Pointless to access local storage when you have to be at home connecting to home wifi other than to complicating users to configure VPN through their router and provide no instructions whatsoever to do so in simplest form.
3. Pointless that only primary holder can access local storage
4.Subscription on Ultra ending soon - this should be extended until you deliver proper local remote storage access.

Lastly come on surely you can do better. Please advise you are currently working on these issues?
19 REPLIES 19
dididj
Star
Star
Completely agree, I posted on idea exchange that they need to implement upnp protocol like eufy, now the direct storage is useless, I always have problem with the access outside my wifi network.. and with the last app every time y close and reopen the app lost the configured port. It's totally useless this features respect to what eufy did ( totally transparent and user friendly).
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
You're absolutely correct
dididj
Star
Star

i forgot, eufy also has a thumbail of the video in the local storage.

ArloUltra83
Apprentice
Apprentice
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
I second that
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
I've been having the same problem ever since they updated the firmware and released their flood light which once again broke the system they did the same thing when they released the doorbell they broke the system. I have been in contact with their tech support I'm now on a level 3 and waiting for a response
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
So I contacted tech support I was on a level three after calling them three times. Anyway they said there's a fixed by the end of the month. That's after they broke it with the firmware they released For the floodlight camera. And let's not forget about when they released the doorbell and updated the firmware and broke everything. This is nothing new with them I have all arlo Arlo Pro 2 and Arlo Ultra for years now I have watched them break the system over and over again. They honestly don't seem to care
dcfox1
Master
Master

@Johnny290   Did support say Arlo broke it after firmware releases? 

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
No I said so because that's when it stopped working and it's not the first time they broke in the system
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
And one more thing I'd like to add Arlo would never admit to Breaking anything
64Scott
Guide
Guide

Me too.  Crazy not to be able to seamlessly access the local storage from anywhere in the world and as another user pointed out the thumbnails should be visible when accessing the local storage.  Shouldn't have to play the video in order to generate a thumbnail.  The supposed work arounds with VPN's and port forwarding are ridiculous, cumbersome and the instructions provided are pathetic.  Should not have to compromise my own network security using port forwarding to access a feature your competitors systems offer.   

Come on Arlo enough of your loyal customers want this feature improved to give the correct functionality that matches what your competitors offer.

Catchbag
Apprentice
Apprentice
How this company manages to maintain its Shareprice is beyond me. Worst customer experience Ive ever seen and unless paying for an overpriced underperforming cloud backend, it seems your handicapped at every turn. These basic features should exist at a local operating level. Im now actively warning everyone NOT to purchase Arlo.
Dahca
Guide
Guide

currently, we can't even access any recordings on the hub SD. kinda sucks.

I got my arlo cameras 2 months ago and never had access to my hub SD.

yes, i am on the same network as the hub using the phone app.

pjama
Luminary
Luminary

> ...users to configure VPN through their router...

Has ANYBODY got local storage access working using android through a VPN? I can see local storage when on the local network (sometimes it goes MIA) but over a VPN from my android to home, I get the drop down list but no actual videos. It seems to work for iOS but I've not seen any evidence of it working for android.

ANYONE? Just a yes or no would be good but would prefer some details.

> 3. Pointless that only primary holder can access local storage

That's something I'd REALLY like to see.

> Lastly come on surely you can do better. Please advise you are currently working on these issues?

Can we get *some* feedback on that?

Catchbag
Apprentice
Apprentice
Goddammit Arlo. Sort this local storage access out. My wife cant even check local storage on same wifi after an alert. What bloomin good is that! Happy wife happy life..not likely given this lack of fundamental basic functionalty. Put some damn authentication on the hub. My cheap Xiaomi wifi camera has this via free cloud connectivity..yet you want $$$$ for each connected camera. Wish Id never bought this. Sort it out and sort your customer service out whilst at it. Yours kindly FED UP!
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

There is no incentive for them to straighten it out, their plan is making money from the cloud not the hardware.  A 8th grade programmer could do it so I have no doubt Arlo can but why when it hasn't been in their plan since Netgear let them have it.

Catchbag
Apprentice
Apprentice
Ignore your customer base at your peril, I for one have directed customers away from arlo for exactly these types of issues. Your customers are your best or worst advocates...I for one want.my customers championing my work for repeat and new business. Totally just don't get Arlo and their philosophy.
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Stock reports don't expect them to show a profit for another 3 years, by then others will have passed them by.  Some like Lorex already have have smart without needing a cloud service to do it, some already use facial recognition. Cloud services are not really doing all that well because they do have delays that don't work well in today's environment.  Even Samsung is dropping their cloud service with the option to transfer to Microsoft with limited free storage or pay another bill for more.  5G is here and once complete will make the cloud look like a slow moving train for things like security.

Isacksenfamily
Apprentice
Apprentice

When will the non-primary user have access to local storage?  Having only the primary user access is pointless to a SD card that I own in my device.

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 45 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation