Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation
Isacksenfamily
Apprentice
Apprentice

I've heard that local storage can only be accessed by the primary user.  When will this feature be extended to shared account users?  I have 2 users granted admin access and they sometimes and sometime cannot view stored video.  There appears to have a large discussion earlier this year about this topic.

10 REPLIES 10
xerothermic
Aspirant
Aspirant
I faced the exact problem today after the trial expired! My wife cannot view the local storage footage as a non-primary admin user. This is super frustrating!!!
Isacksenfamily
Apprentice
Apprentice
Exactly! Come on @Arlo fix it.
dcfox1
Master
Master

I'm not sure Arlo will change it but your wife or shared account can access the with your sign in information. But you both can't do it at the same time. 

Isacksenfamily
Apprentice
Apprentice
Primary users can only access shared SD cards. Non-primaries cannot. Unless, I’m missing some configuration value. Please correct if this issue has been corrected.
dcfox1
Master
Master

If she signs in as you (your account) she would be primary. Not her account. It is a work around for secondary users not having access. But you both can not sign in as you at the same time as I stated. You are right about if she signs in with her account she would not have access. 

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

It won't change, it's just one of the Arlo road blocks to push you to use their cloud service.  That is their primary goal and plan to make money, not the hardware.  Just read the financial reports from a number of reporters (not Arlo) and it's quite clear.  Once people understand this, only those wanting cloud services will be buying Arlo and Arlo will be happy with that.  Now if only they would do something about making their cloud function efficiently.  Smart is really not very smart by today's standards and capabilities.  Also things like more options for those who do pay.  Many are happy with using homekit even though it 1080 because it's faster.  If you try that with just Arlo by using pan and zoom it's all herky jerky.  They could easily give paying customers the ability to choose 1080 for the cloud keeping 4K for live and SD.  Why do they care if your paying for it, just add it as a option.  It was after all the original free plan so it's not like it's not possible.

Isacksenfamily
Apprentice
Apprentice

Poor excuse for a feature.  

If they allow you to insert a SD card and can only access it through the main service account, this is wrong.  I only use my main service account for maintenance activities.  User accounts should have the same rights to shared video content as the service account.  It would be my guess, that this would be a simple line of code change on the @Arlo @arlo_Support side.

demannu
Apprentice
Apprentice

Arlo's entire business model is to cripple local features to force people onto a subscription plan, unfortunately they will never do anything that'll benefit non subscribers, in fact, they rarely do anything to benefit subscribers either, they basically just disable the crippling features. jeez I dislike this company. 

pjama
Luminary
Luminary

Just adding my vote as I to would like shared accounts to be able to access local storage... and 4K local videos irrespective of the subscription, and a working VPN access for android users.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation