Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 34 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
Moroni
Star
Star

Arlo geo fencing is not working, I have the latest app on 2 iPhones, running iOS 16.1, restarted home base, deleted my access and reinstalled, access to spouse is all cameras (5) plus base, have access to 2 phones, mine and spouses, changed the range to medium, granted access. 

Thanks

Mike

34 REPLIES 34
Dannybear
Master
Master

Have a read of the articles first.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062271/Why-isn-t-the-Geofencing-mode-working 

https://kb.arlo.com/1096229/How-do-I-add-and-manage-multiple-mobile-devices-for-geofencing 

Some suggested workarounds,

• Ensure mobile devices are plugged into a charger when transitioning your zones.
  • Always refresh the arlo app login every two weeks on mobile devices using the app settings privacy centre account active sessions logout function. Then login in again on mobile devices.
  • Enable the geofencing location in/Out notifications so you know when it activates.
Moroni
Star
Star

Thank you for the information, I have gone through the list and check each setting,

one thing I noticed on my iPhone there are two phones listed listed for my wife, under push notifications. Only one is checked I am not sure how to delete the unchecked on

Michael

Dannybear
Master
Master

When looking at push notifications listed devices in geofencing settings page do you get the green edit label at top right of page?

If so when you tap on edit does it then give you a red bin next to the iPhone that would allow you to delete it?

Note that you need to identify which iPhone is currently valid if they are named the same else you could delete the wrong one. Also it will not give you the bin button if it is selected, you need to deselect it first before you can delete it.

Also ensure you enable geofencing in/out notifications in the iPhone’s settings under the arlo app.

You can test the arlo geofencing notifications operation by selecting disabled mode then select geofencing mode and you should get the geofencing change notification immediately after to prove it is functional.

The notifications give you confidence that the system has switched modes after you exit or when you enter your zone.

BTW, I have generally found the zone size settings make no difference to where the change occurs.

Moroni
Star
Star

I do not have the option to edit, no green button, in top right.

two phones are listed and I dont see an option to delete any of them

doing your suggestion disarm and then geo fence works shows on both phones

I have noticed the name on her phone DB mini, does not show push notifications

one is iphone the other is iphone  (5)

Dannybear
Master
Master

The function to remove friends devices from geofencing has not been implemented it would seem, it’s been requested for a couple of years.

The only workaround found is to remove the granted friend from your account and reinvite them again.

Moroni
Star
Star

Dannybear

first Happy thanksgiving were ever you might be.

I am still having issues with geo fencing. 

on my phone I show my wife, all cameras are shared, along with home base and access rights turned on.

With Geo on under push notifications and enables devices shows my phone and 2 phones for her, her phone is names on her phone, but the name does not show in push notifications or enabled devices.  

I have tried to sign in to arlo on the net to manage my account myarlo.net but I don’t see

see the side bar that lets you manage the account, all I get is the option of arlo secure.

At this point I am totally underwater.

This use to work with out issue I’ve had the system for about 5 years

Moroni

Dannybear
Master
Master

@Moroni 

Thank you for your well wishes and back at you.

Seems to be a pain to make it work agree, the app just seems to be a patchwork of half fixes.

Regards the arlo web interface, just to clarify, the site address is my.arlo.com. Going to something else will get you a scam interface.

As previously suggested remove the granted user from your account and invite again to clear out unused devices.

Moroni
Star
Star

I may have gotten a clue as to whats going on.

I had geo on on both phones, I turned off geo on my phone, my wifes phone did not

change to disarmed and stayed on geo, when I moved in the family room I received an alarm notice,.  I just disarmed both phones, then armed mine hers did not change.

So I would assume hers is not recognized.  

I would appreciate any suggestions 

Moroni

Dannybear
Master
Master

On which phone is the owners account credentials used, your phone or partner’s phone?

It is not ideal to have more than one mobile device using the same credentials as there is a one device limit and could add confusion to which mobile device is used for geofencing.

Assuming your mobile is the device that owns the cameras, it is possible that the granted user account has been somehow disconnected from the geofencing function.

Moroni
Star
Star

Dannybear

Not sure your still willing to help, 

Wife and I both have our own sign in accounts we are not using the same sign in.

Over the past couple of days I have

Deleted the arlo app on my phone, reset network setting on my phone, resigned in,

in Geo fencing, Enabled mobile devices, (2) this iPhone , shows two other phones, 

iphone DB, NOT checked and another iphone (5)

Push notifications shows same as above total of 3 phones

Device Settings are, My Devices all cameras and base station

Profile-Login Settings-two step verification shows, MB iphone 14, my phone number & wifes phone number, and mt email address.

Granted access, wife accepted, all cameras and base station show.

With this I went out yesterday and one out of the zone arlo armed, but wife’s phone was still in the house.  

This all use to work, but not now, and there does not seem to be any way to contact support,

so I am very appreciative of the communi

Moroni

Dannybear
Master
Master

Can you check your partner’s phone has the run in background enabled and location set to always in her iPhone’s settings page under the arlo tab.

Moroni
Star
Star

Both are set Always and refresh

Her phone is named DB mini but it does not show in my phone. In her account it shows DB mini with here phone number

Dannybear
Master
Master

I rebuilt my setup to be the same with granted access configuration and can identify three different names for the granted device in the different settings locations.

Agree that it weird and that they should be labeled the same to prevent confusion.

What iOS ver is the granted user device running, is it up to date?

Will be testing the geofencing operation tomorrow to see if I can duplicate the same issues.

Moroni
Star
Star

Thanks for the help, both phones are 16.1 os, and both phones

are using the lates arlo app

Moroni
Star
Star

Dannybear

If you would like to go private, I would be happy to share screenshots of settings 

on both phones

Moroni

Dannybear
Master
Master

A quick test today showed to two phones geofencing correctly, but I learnt you need to have both on charge as you leave the zone for it to work.

I did notice that the granted user login sessions retains previous device login sessions that need to be removed, Something you should check on your partner’s setup. Go to the app settings page, privacy centre, account, active sessions.

I also noticed using the granted user account that all the camera labels are incorrect and device order same, this suggests that the account has been corrupted somehow. I will need to completely wipe the account to get it to display correctly as a guess.

Moroni
Star
Star

Thank you again for all your help

I don’t understand they need to be on charge?

I also don’t understand how to access, privacy center to delete active sessions

Again thank you, please do what ever you need to help get this working.

Moroni

Dannybear
Master
Master

Regards the phones being on charge, the arlo app geolocation function doesn’t update the base station immediately when you exit or enter the geo zone unless the phone is using external power. 

For my setup I can travel 30mins outside the zone and enter again without the geofencing changing. When using multiple phones the same applies.

Regards the active sessions, when you login to an account on another device it can leave an login session active and so give you another device using geofencing.

To see your active sessions, open the arlo app, go to the settings page, select the privacy centre tab, select account then select active sessions tab. Scroll down to show what login devices you have logged in still.

Dannybear
Master
Master

Well it worked twice yesterday but today it failed to register a change of location for the granted user device.

I would have to conclude at this point that the app needs work to get multiple user geofencing to function as intended.

Moroni
Star
Star

Dannybear

What i assume your saying is Arlo needs to update the app?

and until then geofencing is off the table?

thanks

Moroni

Dannybear
Master
Master

I have struggled to use geofencing for some years now, worked well back in 2018, then became a problem when the warranty ran out, go figure.

Tried it each time a new update was released but never worked reliably.

I’ve had to discover my own workarounds to get it reliable which are not documented by arlo.

I have been previously using the same account loaded onto partner’s mobile to achieve multiple geofencing device operation but that limits the number of login sessions to a single device. The app will run in the background ok using the same account.

Trying to use a granted user device for geofencing seems problematic. You should raise a fault case with arlo customer support if inclined, they will likely ask you to delete the whole account and start again. 

I just noticed another Base firmware update has been released so maybe that has killed it.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

@Moroni 

I tried a complete rebuild of my granted access account.

• Removed granted user from main account.
  • Deleted granted user account using  partner’s phone. (Big mistake as it deleted my community forum account as well)
  •  Deleted the app from partner’s phone.
  • Created new arlo account on partner’s phone.
  • Added granted user again from the main account.
  • Accepted email invite and established camera sharing ok.(All corrupted settings have been corrected.)
  • Setup geofencing for the granted phone.

Testing has since established that doing the above was a completely wasted effort.

Looks like I will be going back to single account multiple devices for geofencing if it’s still working.

Moroni
Star
Star

Dannybear

I cant begin to tell you how much I appreciate your time and effort

trying to help with this issue. It seems according to this form and other sources

this is an on going continual problem. Because its an important issue

to me, I am going to look at a more reliable systems. I also where ever possible

will advise others of this laking feature, and advise against buying Arlo

thanks again

Moroni

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Just to update where the granted user geofencing not working.

It has mysteriously started to work correctly again without intervention, must be an arlo thing I guess.

Discussion stats
  • 34 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation