Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 40 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Well for your free year it's 1080 to the cloud with 4K live and 4K to your SD card.  Then you find out when it's time to pay you either pay for the top tier or there is no 4K period.  It's either all 2K or pay for all 4K.  Once you have to pay the plans are changed to only two options.  If you don't go full 4K you lose 4K live and 4K to your SD because that plan you used all year no longer exists.  You can the agent told me have 4K on your SD card if you take no plan.  Looks like subscription will only last one month.

40 REPLIES 40
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

As for checking actual res.  If you pull the SD and bring it up on a computer just right click on the file and then details and it will give the res.  Might be properties, then details

trinatron
Apprentice
Apprentice

The only reason I purchased this system recently, was for its ability to record in 4K to the local SD card regardless of subscription.

I'm more than happy to pay for a subscription for the smart notifications and for the cloud storage as a backup to my SD card but I only need the Premier plan.

In fact, on the box the system is advertised as 4K with HDR and only mentions that a subscription is needed for smart notifications and cloud storage. So unless this is fixed, I'll be returning it for a Eufy system.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

I fought with them since they turn me off and forced me to pay for a plan in Dec.  They made clear I would not get 4K to the SD unless I pay for the Elite plan, they don't see a fix needed, they say this is the way it is.  Some think the elite plan is great and for them it may be but it's not for me.  I'm most pissed off about the bait and switch way they did it.  It's not the cost, I don't want 4K in the cloud but that doesn't mean they can take it away from my SD, lie to me about it's not possible just to squeeze a few more dollars out of me.

trinatron
Apprentice
Apprentice

If what you say is true, I'm afraid Arlo are going to lose a lot of customers. Competitors like Ring, Nest and Eufy are all going to be cheaper with their TCO and all have similar features and functionality. A 4K Wi-Fi camera is all that sets Arlo apart right now.

Something had to have changed with one of the more recent firmware updates. I remember successfully testing 4K recording to the SD card even while the internet was offline and the SmartHub had no way of confirming if it's subscription was even valid, unless there's some sort of grace period.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Mine recorded in 4K for the first year to the SD, only after being forced to go to a plan did that change and that did not involve a firmware change of anything, it was immediate after going to the 2K plan.  However I can't say what would happen if the internet is down but it could default to that because it does with no plan.

oabushaban
Aspirant
Aspirant

@LandJS and ALL

I got my Arlo Ultra Bundle on Dec, and just got the chance to install them! I going through the same with little tweak!

I am on the 1 year free premier plan (started like 5 days ago)

LIVE feed on phone and web says 4k (4k badge), but it's not close to that by any mean. Support told me that I need the new Premiere plan to get 2k on LIVE and CLOUD, but the 4K can be recorded locally on my SD. Thus, I purchased the SD today!!!!!! And, again, I don't see the recording quality as 4k, however, it has 4k badge on it!

Do we have any Arlo Expert here to advise on this? The only reason I came to Arlo is for their 4K capabilities on local storage. If it's not an option then I'll return the package.

One more question, their KB says that I can toggle control the 4k streaming under "Video Settings" , I don't see this option under my Arlo console (neither on phone, nor on web). https://kb.arlo.com/000062127/How-do-I-stream-in-4K-with-my-Arlo-Ultra-camera

Am I missing something?

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

If your on the free one year premier you should have 1080 to the cloud and 4K to the SD card.  On your local network you should have 4K live as long as pan and zoom are not turned on.  The only place I know of to toggle 4K is on the phone app.  It's not showing in the online app. Settings, devices, the cam your setting, video settings, 4K toggle.  If your on the computer, live or with the SD the quality is dependent on browser.  At least for PC's, couldn't tell you on apple.  The Edge browser is the only one capable of 4K.  The phone depends on the phone capabilities.  If you put the SD in the computer and go to a file, right click, properties, details it will show you the resolution.  If you do choose another plan you will lose what you have and not get it back.  If you choose 2K you will have 2K in the cloud and on the SD.  You lose 4K to the SD unless you go elite.  

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

I forgot to mention that your SD must be toggled to best resolution.

iBertie
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is alarming and illegal if true. Their own materials available online state:

(Page 28 of manual)

“You can stream 4K content without a subscription. You can use 4K by local live streaming or recording 4K motion content onto a microSD card in the SmartHub. You can also purchase an add-on service to store 4K, motion-activated clips to the Arlo Cloud for access anywhere your mobile app has a data connection.“

(Arlo Ultra FAQ)

Is 4k recording free?
Yes. All users of Arlo Ultra can stream 4k content without a subscription. You can use 4K by local live streaming or recording 4k motion content onto a microSD card when inserted into an Arlo SmartHub. You can also purchase an add on service to store 4K, motion-activated clips to the Arlo Cloud for easy access anywhere your mobile app has a data connection.”

These are repeated explicit statements with no wiggle room. Arlo is starting publicly that cloud recordings are an “ADD-ON SERVICE” and NOT a requirement for 4K local sd card recording. Nowhere do they say this applies only for the first year only. This is an open and shut court case of false advertising if Arlo are trying to implement this cloud subscription requirement policy for 4K local streaming/sd card recording activity. Likely it is a bug and the higher ups are unaware of the mistake (or they’re shady as hell....).

Larry I advise you send a copy of the manual and FAQ to support and ask for an explanation from management. An urgent public response is also needed. I’m within my return window and cannot believe what I’m reading in this thread. I have no intention of paying their subscription, but I did pay nearly a grand for 3x 4K cameras that should work locally, in 4K - AS ADVERTISED.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Yes you can and always could WITHOUT a subscription within it's limitations.  Only the primary subscriber, only in the phone app and away from home only with a VPN or port fwd.  The question asked and answered was an owner on the free first year premier and had nothing to do with no subscription and having been told by support to go to a 2K plan.  

trinatron
Apprentice
Apprentice

So just to be clear I think the problem is

When you first purchase the Ultra system you get the basic subscription plan free for a year (which gives you cloud storage@1080P and smart notification) plus you can also record to the local SD card in 4K.

The problem is once that subscription expires, you can no longer just get the basic subscription plan while also recording to the SD card in 4K. If you want the ability to still record to the SD card in 4K while also having a subscription, you need to purchase the Elite plan which can become rediculously expensive depending on the number of cameras you have.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

The end of the 1st year would be the question.  We were under the impression that this plan could be renewed,  some never got a notice, some say they did.  In my case I got up in the morning and mine was turned off with a note that I had to take the 2K or 4K plan to continue.  So I clicked on the 2K and Arlo says if you change your plan you can't go back, I say you didn't give me an option or even notice, they say basically to bad.  Then I found out they took away 4K to my SD which will only now record in 2K.  After 4 times with support I even got an e-mail from further up saying no if your on 2K that's all you get to both because we can't send two different res. one to the cloud and one to the SD.  This is BS because they just sent 1080 to the cloud and 4K to SD for a year.  The plan you are on.  At the end of your year hopefully they let you renew or you will have to choose, 2K premier to both the cloud and SD, 4K elite plan to both the cloud and SD or no plan with it's limitations in 4K and notifications for every bug and blowing leaf or branch.  If you go to the link for plans it will show what you get for each plan and no plan.

trinatron
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm pretty confident that once the free 1 year subscription expires, the only options will be the Premier 2K and Elite 4K

rjmcinnes
Apprentice
Apprentice

iBerti,

Thank you for the crystal clear explanation to this forum...

That is also my understanding, and also the reason I purchased (3) Ultra Series 4K HDR cameras,  Smart Hub, and a 32GB microSDXC Card.

My initial Smart Premier plan expires on 09 July 2020, and when that happens, I will see whether Arlo fulfils it's 4K obligations.  So far so good, and I believe they will...

If not, I will join with you and help force a fix, or seek retribution through the Australian Consumers Protection Act (and these guys are tough). 

oabushaban
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can't get 4k on my SD. Downloaded the video and here is the properties!

Although, it says 4k on the live stream and local storage!!

Is this the right resolution?

3840 x 2160

I am on my 1st year free premier that just started week ago!

Any help?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@oabushaban wrote:

Is this the right resolution?

3840 x 2160

Yes, this is 4K.  1080p is 1920x1080; 4K doubles each dimension.

Discussion stats
  • 40 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation