Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
StanKL
Aspirant
Aspirant

Anyone have any experience with using their hub-based system WITHOUT an Arlo Smart subscription? If so, can you help with these questions:

Is the delay/latency between movement and an alert the same, worse or better than getting alerts via a cloud-based subscription?

Are locally recorded videos instantly available via the local wifi network-connected cell phone?

What is a typical delay/latency with a phone via the cellular system?

Does the hub still communicate with Arlo via the wifi internet connection to get firmware updates?

From actual users, what are the real pros and cons of not having a subscription?

...Would really appreciate your comments.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@dcfox1 wrote:

I just use local as back up but you can see recording in the App if you have a smart hub but there are no thumbnails and you have to download them individually There is no web access. You only get generic notifications but can't comment if they are much quicker may be slightly. Away from home  wifi you need to set up VPN or Port forward another drawback.

In addition,

• you can't make manual recordings
  • you can't give a friend account access to the videos.

Since only one person can be logged into the account at a time, then the last limitation is a big deal if two or more family members need to see the recordings.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
dcfox1
Master
Master

I just use local as back up but you can see recording in the App if you have a smart hub but there are no thumbnails and you have to download them individually There is no web access. You only get generic notifications but can't comment if they are much quicker may be slightly. Away from home  wifi you need to set up VPN or Port forward another drawback. The Hub is connected via Ethernet so always connected to Arlo for updates. My personal opinion the subscription is worth it with the limitations on Local storage but some use it w/o a sub and will probably add. You can read these links in the FAQ  here if you have not. 

What is Direct Storage Access and how do I use it? (arlo.com)

What options will I have when the Arlo Smart 3-month trial plan ends?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@dcfox1 wrote:

I just use local as back up but you can see recording in the App if you have a smart hub but there are no thumbnails and you have to download them individually There is no web access. You only get generic notifications but can't comment if they are much quicker may be slightly. Away from home  wifi you need to set up VPN or Port forward another drawback.

In addition,

• you can't make manual recordings
  • you can't give a friend account access to the videos.

Since only one person can be logged into the account at a time, then the last limitation is a big deal if two or more family members need to see the recordings.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation