Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
ms_kiby
Aspirant
Aspirant

Does anyone know if the ultra has mesh networking?

Or does it suffer from the same range limitations of the pro and pro 2, where by you can only have the camera within range of the base station.

9 REPLIES 9
st_shaw
Master Master
Master

No mesh.  You could install multiple base stations to reduce the distance to the cameras though.

ms_kiby
Aspirant
Aspirant

i'm aware of the multiple base stations, but seems archaic when people have mesh routers that will extend wifi and / or other devices in my smart home use mesh to extend capability of devices

to have a hub a spoke setup (ie. depend on the base station) is a poor network

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If you could attach the cameras to your network, they could be more easily intercepted. Having a private WiFi helps secure the system.

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

@ms_kiby wrote:

to have a hub a spoke setup (ie. depend on the base station) is a poor network

There are technical reasons for the architecture.

Since you say the design is poor, what would you propose as a good solution?

ms_kiby
Aspirant
Aspirant

i dont see why arlo can't do a mesh network, other brands utilize the reach of these ...

especially when user want to cover larger areas, or multiple sides of a building 

the more camera in the mesh network, the stronger the coverage / reach

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

For all intents and purposes, multiple bases is essentially the same thing as a mesh router with satellites.

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

@ms_kiby wrote:

i dont see why arlo can't do a mesh network, other brands utilize the reach of these ...

especially when user want to cover larger areas, or multiple sides of a building 

the more camera in the mesh network, the stronger the coverage / reach

It sounds like you're talking about having each camera be a node in the mesh network.

That would work if each camera was AC powered. It would not be very feasible if the cameras were battery powered, because each camera would need to be always-on and listening in order to relay the video data, and that would deplete the battery quickly. Also, each time the video data passed through another camera in the mesh it would deplete that camera's battery to receive and retransmit the video data. That's why you don't see battery-powered WiFi mesh networks.

So, having a network with multiple distributed hubs is a decent approach when you consider the technical details.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A much better response than mine...  +1000 ^^

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

@jguerdat wrote:

A much better response than mine...  +1000 ^^

Thanks. Smiley Happy I was also going to write that an Arlo system with multiple hubs was very similar to an Orbi "mesh" but you beat me to that point.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation