Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation
Dlearious
Guide
Guide

Hi All,

I am having issues with the Direct Storage Access feature on my VMB5000r4 base station. It used to work fine but now I can no longer access local videos through the App, error message as follows:

IMG-20230221-WA0002.jpg

Key investigations performed so far as follows:

• Checked for firmware updates I'm on 1.19.0.3, I see there is a later version 1.20.4.1 (I think), but my Basestation won't pick it up. Even tried adding a camera to force a firmware update but it says no updates available 
  • Rebooted base station 
  • Rebooted router
  • Toggled the "Direct Storage access" and "Record Locally" off/on
  • Removed the SD card and confirmed local video is still being written to it (even though the App won't load it)
  • Tried on both Android and iOS devices (same symptoms)
  • Re-iped the Basestation just in case
  • Tinkered with router settings (enabled uPnP and Port Triggering) which shouldn't really matter but didn't work anyway

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

This is a well known problem. Not sure if it's been fixed yet. Certainly not in Europe where there haven't been firmware updates to the base station for nearly a year.

Maybe North American customers can confirm whether this issue has been fixed or not, as they're receiving firmware updates on a regular basis. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

As a US user I keep getting updates as expected. I also only occasionally see this issue on Android (no iOS here). WHen I do see it, I force close the app and reopen it to get it to work. Since iOS apparently doesn't allow this, maybe logging out and back in would help.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

A resolution for this issue is available in a later firmware version that is not yet released in your region. We will provide an update once we have more information available to share.

Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

From what @jguerdat is saying,  it doesn't look like it's been properly addressed in the latest firmware, available in the US. 

I can too force close the app and re-open it to get rid of the message, even without having the latest firmware installed, so the latest firmware doesn't really appear to address the issue, does it?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I haven't tracked this issue so I can't say when it last happened and whether any new software has addressed it. All I can say is that it has happened to me in the past.

Dlearious
Guide
Guide

Thanks all.

The fact that its happening on iOS and Android devices despite reboots of network/basestation/phones indicates it's the Firmware bug. I guess I will just need to wait for this functionality to come back when the Firmware is available to the UK (noticed no updates since June last year). Unless Arlo can push the US firmware onto my Basestation?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Dlearious wrote:

Unless Arlo can push the US firmware onto my Basestation?

Arlo has a contract with Verisure in Europe, which does slow down the firmware update process there.  Arlo support can't do anything to speed it up.

Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

This has recently been done so your base station should have had an update, though I don't it resolves many issues.

Dlearious
Guide
Guide

The BS has the new firmware now and functionality has returned.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Dlearious 

Thanks for the update.

1027randy
Aspirant
Aspirant

5/24/2023 - Wow, They are still aware of it and still working on it. What a great company delivers nothing that they say they do. The only reason I purchased the Arlo was for this feature so not much use for me. Will pack up and return it all to them, what a waste. 5 months same issue.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

HI @1027randy 

Can you provide more info regarding this issue you are experiencing. Thanks 

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation