Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Direct Power Connection

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
QuantumJay
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have an old wired outdoor light where I would like to put a security camera.

Can the ultra be hard wired? By this I mean directly into a 240V supply, no plug or USB, just directly into the wiring that the light would use.

What accessories would I require as I’m assuming I’ll need something to step down the supply?

Thanks!!!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dalekr
Guide
Guide
Mate I had the same thing I hard wired a outdoor weather proof box with power plug that’s got USB ports built in works great

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

If you hard wire the Ultra to 240v , you'd prob have a melted camera in about  a micro second....

The cameras  all use a transformer to lower the voltage down to USB levels and covert to dc.

You do know they sell an outside plug already made for that?

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
dalekr
Guide
Guide
Mate I had the same thing I hard wired a outdoor weather proof box with power plug that’s got USB ports built in works great
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@dalekr wrote:

Likewise.

This comes up pretty often .

An electrician can fit a weather proof external socket. But if they know their stuff they will go nowhere near a lighting circuit for outdoor power.  Wrong amps.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation