Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

PIR motion detection people & animal

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Jambotatu
Guide
Guide

The behaviour of motion detection is confusing. The maximum distance from the camera appears to be around 9 metres. I want to detect movement outside this range so I cover that area with a Pro in another position.

On the Ultra I positioned the camera ,in the garden, to cover the furthest distance it could achieve and turned the sensitivy to high, and detection is set for people and animals. I now find that when there are clothes hanging on the line and the wind is blowing I get continuous alerts and recordings. Adjusting the sensitivity does not fix this.

Another problem is night vision sensitivity. A large(ish) animal crossed the garden and I did not get an alert. I have 2 VMS5140 systems and when the animal when by the other system also no response.

4 REPLIES 4
brh
Master
Master

@Jambotatu,

As far as the first part of your post, Arlo Smart does not affect the PIR detection. It simply analyses the video and categorizes what it sees in the video. Any movement detected by the PIR sensor will still trigger a notification and recording. When the clothes were triggering the camera, how were they categorized in Arlo Smart - as Other Motion?

As for the second part of your post, let's wait for the next firmware update as there have many complaints about detection and notifications.

Brian

Jambotatu
Guide
Guide

I've forgotten the category so I'm repeating the situation. I've set the categories to People and Animal. So far it has detected me as a person when I put the  clothes out, since then I have had 'motion'  and 'animal' alerts.

Thanks for responding

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

First,the size of a avg dog require the camera a bit closer due to the detection ir spread over the sensor. ( small animals need to be closer ).

Second yes, the movement of objects that can change/reflect the ir pattern can set off the camera ( like flags, trees, depending on the sun angle ) so try to avoid things in the view.

Third, just confirm when setting the sense level, you are doing it in the mode itself , not in setting ( test purposes only ), which is a common mistake.

In the end, placement and sense level settings are a trial and error to maximize captures with lowering false triggers

( I have moved /adjusted everyone of my cams to get the best results )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Jambotatu
Guide
Guide

I couldn't prevent false PIR signals and poor night vision so I changed the Ultras for Pro2s. They seem to satisfy my requirements. No false PIRs and reasonable night vision also more positive movement detection at night. The spotlights are replaced by cheap PIR lights. No 4k  which is not a problem because this requires fast WiFi to improve the quality of the image significantly

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation