Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
aname
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm really losing patience with this system.. I just don't understand how Arlo can keep selling Ultras with a straight face. All was sort of fine until the base station update 1.12.3.1_87_c950b94 - 29th July 2019 but after that update everything went downhill.

There are several different threads highlighting all problems I'm experiencing but all of these threads seem to be mostly ignored by Arlo.

1.12.3.1_87_c950b94 - 29th July 2019:

• Seriously broke everything, no camera saves any videos to cloud whatsoever
  • This update also decreased range which probably relates to the so called battery life improvements

1.12.3.2_134_185068d - 19th August 2019:

• Yay, now the cameras save videos most of the time..
  • Still decreased range

So.. biggest problem with this system is that I just can't trust it. Videos are simply STILL not stored in the cloud as they should. I can see that the camera reacts since I can see an updated snapshot in the app when the motion trigger happens, but no notification and no video stored in the cloud.

There are lots of other funny little bugs like security lights not starting, lights detecting motion not starting a video recording as it should etc etc etc... but c'mon at least a system like this should be able to record video upon motion detection.. :p.

3 REPLIES 3
Kammfam
Luminary
Luminary

The showing a thumbnail but no video on the cloud (but it does record to SD) is also one of the problems that I've been having just since this last firmware update. It's really frustrating.

chrchr
Guide
Guide

What do you mean with "decreased range"?

Do you mean that they decreased the range of identifying objects that moving? If yes then I can relate to that. It feels that the motion algorithm has changed a lot since some time after the july update. Arlo Ultra cannot recognize the movement of my cat at home, something that worked before.

aname
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ah, could have been a bit more clear about what I meant regarding range I guess. I'm talking about the connection between cameras and base station.

Without repositioning/moving base station or cameras the connection strength, i.e. range, has been affected by changes in the last couple of base station updates. Since there's usually a tradeoff between current consumption and range for wireless communication, my guess is that this is related to what the release notes called "battery life improvements". This decreased range leads to disconnected cameras and/or pixelated/crappy recorded videos.

However, I agree that motion detection has deteriorated somewhat as well.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation