Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 In Conversation
Fireside
Follower
Follower
Has anyone cut the magnetic charger in half to pass through smaller hole in concrete wall?

I just bought 2 Ultra 2 cams and I want them plugged in so I don’t have to charge batteries. The USB end and the magnetic charger end are both 1/2” wide but thin. That’s an awfully big hole to make for a skinny wire.

Can I cut the charger wire in half so I can just pass the skinny wire through the wall instead of trying to pass the entire USB head through the wall then splice it back together once it’s through the wall?
8 REPLIES 8
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Fireside wrote:

Can I cut the charger wire in half so I can just pass the skinny wire through the wall instead of trying to pass the entire USB head through the wall then splice it back together once it’s through the wall?

It's certainly possible, but not something Arlo recommends.

It looks like your best option though - certainly better than a 1/2 hole.

MMM-PR
Initiate
Initiate
Hi, So did you end up cutting the cord to feed into a smaller hole?

I'm in the same boat as you are, feel bad to put such large hole for just that small size of a cable.

If you did cut it, was it just a simple 2 wire or was there any wire shielding too?

Thank you
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

When there is a power source available (everybody's situation is different) what I did was add a outdoor receptacle to my front and back porch lights along with my deck light and am able to plug in all six of my cams.

MMM-PR
Initiate
Initiate
Yah I have no such power source available in the locations I need to install them at. My options are to have new electrical outlets or run power cord into the attic. Considering I'll be putting up 6 cams its much faster and cost effective to run them into the attic.

I guess I'll just cut the cord and see for myself.

I'll post a picture once I cut it so if others ask the same question they will see and have an answer too.
Kdn103
Aspirant
Aspirant
So did you end up cutting the cable? Your comment said you were gonna post a picture. Looking to find out if you got it to work.
hg2121
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi MMM-PR ,

I am curious about these outdoor cable. I try to search for the drawing but could not find. I am interest to know:

- Overall cable diameter.

- Number of conductor inside the insulator.

- What gauge.

- For 25ft cable, do they required a different charger adapter? Due to power drop through the long cable (assumed as someone said 9V charge, not sure how many Amp)

Thanks

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@hg2121 wrote:

- For 25ft cable, do they required a different charger adapter? Due to power drop through the long cable (assumed as someone said 9V charge, not sure how many Amp)

FWIW, the 25 ft cable has an integrated charger (which is of course one reason why you might need to cut the cable).

aljr
Aspirant
Aspirant

Did you end up cutting the cable? I need to do the same. Thanks

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 In Conversation