Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
KachinaShadow
Luminary
Luminary

I installed one Ultra and two Pro 3 cameras 5 weeks ago and everything worked great. I added 3 security lights 3 days ago and have spent two full days trying to troubleshoot the cross-triggering (or non cross-triggering) issue.

EVERY light can be activated by ANY device (camera or light) but NO recording is stored to the cloud although it appears that the cameras ARE activated as the last still view shown on the "Devices" browser page corresponds with the respective "trigger" event, either by a light or another camera.

I have seen posts, although old, referring to this happening and there being a problem with recordings being stored to "local storage" (which I do not use) and not to the cloud. Have also seen a post where someone had removed the "activity zones" and the cross-triggered recording was NOW being saved to the cloud...unfortunately these posts were closed prior to any solution mentioned (other that that the "Engineers" were working on it - over a year ago).

Since ALL of my cameras have "activity zones" set, I decided to run a test with my two Pro 3 cameras being triggered by the lights (since all of the lights are still sitting on the floor in my home office). I removed the "activity zones" on one camera then triggered both cameras with the two corresponding lights and guess what...the camera where I had removed the "activity zones" DID save the recording to the cloud. Note that on the "Devices" browser page BOTH cameras (after "cross triggering" with the lights) showed that they were detecting motion but the camera with "activity zones" set did not save the recording to the cloud.

So although I've solved the mystery, I can't solve my problem since I need the "activity zones" on my cameras so it's up to those "Engineers" to get this fixed ASAP.

SmartHub Firmware - 1.16.2.5_633_62dfaa0
Bridge Firmware - 2.0.1.0_267_230

Paul R

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @KachinaShadow

As you noted above "What I did confirm was that ALL cameras can be triggered by ALL devices but ANY CAMERA THAT HAS "ACTIVITY ZONES" SET, even though triggered, WILL NOT SAVE THE RECORDING TO THE LIBRARY/CLOUD"

This is feature is by design, if you would like to have the recordings saved to the library you will need to remove the activity zones.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
KachinaShadow
Luminary
Luminary

Any Arlo Moderator care to comment on this issue? 🤔

FYI...I've gone as far as to undo ALL installed components, reset the hub and then start over just like when I first set everything up. 

So far the only fix is to take out ALL "activity zones" and then the cameras can be triggered by the security lights and other cameras which isn't a fix but only a workaround...certainly not why I purchased the Arlo products.

KachinaShadow
Luminary
Luminary

Since I'm the only one replying to my own post then I'll update my progress on this issue...

Having spent the last two days trying different "cross triggering" scenarios such as different devices "cross triggering" other devices, two triggering each other, one triggering the other and vise versa, different recording settings (timed or until motion stops), etc. and that "cross triggering does work.

What I did confirm was that ALL cameras can be triggered by ALL devices but ANY CAMERA THAT HAS "ACTIVITY ZONES" SET, even though triggered, WILL NOT SAVE THE RECORDING TO THE LIBRARY/CLOUD...note that other forum posts have reported that these recordings DO save to local storage (if used).

This is something that only ARLO can fix so I'm hoping that an ARLO MODERATOR will at least comment on this and can get it fixed since the Amazon return window has closed on my initial camera & accessory purchase.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @KachinaShadow

Thank you for the detailed information. The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community. 

KachinaShadow
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks ShayneS,

I also have some additional information which may or may not have anything to do with this issue.

Today I was positioning and running some more scenarios on the security lights and found something really strange.

I have three areas with one camera and one light in each. The north & south side each having one Pro 3 & one Security Light and the driveway having one Ultra & one Security Light. Both the Base & Bridge have identical schedules which disable the north & south side cameras & lights during daylight hours but leave the driveway camera & light Armed...both the base & bridge are also set for Geofencing. At night everything is Armed and ALL cameras, when Armed, are told to start recording when they or the light senses motion (they also activate the light upon sensing motion)...of course currently they don't when the light senses motion which, of course, is the reason for this post in the first place.

Now here's where it gets weird...today, in order to work with the Security Lights (north & south side), I had to put the Bridge in the Armed mode and while activating the Security Lights with motion I noticed that the corresponding camera (which, in the Base Armed mode, are set to turn on the Security Light when the camera senses motion or turn on the camera when the light senses motion) was showing a new recording in the library...keep in mind that the  Base is still in the daytime schedule with those cameras disabled. It's also interesting that those cameras only record when they sense motion in other words if I activate the Security Light with motion and there's NO motion in the camera frame then the cameras won't begin recording. However if, after activating the Security Light with motion, I walk into the frame then the camera senses the motion and begins to record much like when it's an active Armed camera.

So the Security Light, when the Bridge is armed, turns on the corresponding camera even when the schedule in the Base has that camera disabled but it does not tell it to start recording like the Security Light is set to do when in the Armed mode but rather more like a normal motion sensing camera. It's also interesting to note that when that happens I only get a notification that the light sensed motion but nothing about the camera even though it did sense motion and is recording. Note that, in this scenario, the cameras will not sense and record unless the Security Light has first sensed motion.

Another interesting thing is that these phantom recordings take about 4 to 5 times longer to process and show up in the library.

Feel free to PM me and I can supply my phone number so that if any Engineers would like more info then I can discuss it more with them and answer any questions which I may not have put in this long winded post.

Thanks,
Paul

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thank you!

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @KachinaShadow

As you noted above "What I did confirm was that ALL cameras can be triggered by ALL devices but ANY CAMERA THAT HAS "ACTIVITY ZONES" SET, even though triggered, WILL NOT SAVE THE RECORDING TO THE LIBRARY/CLOUD"

This is feature is by design, if you would like to have the recordings saved to the library you will need to remove the activity zones.

KachinaShadow
Luminary
Luminary

ShayneS,

I don't agree at all that this is any kind of solution!

You market this product as having the ability for cloud storage along with a free period of cloud storage as an incentive to purchase...you also market other features such as being able to set alert zones for motion detection and also the ability to cross trigger lights and additional cameras...now, all of a sudden, these features aren't compatible.

This is out right consumer deception. period!

Someone better make this right for the thousands of consumers who made their purchase decision on those features.

Paul

KachinaShadow
Luminary
Luminary

ShayneS,

Here's some additional info from Arlo regarding activity zones and cloud recording so I'm not sure how you can tell me "This is feature is by design, if you would like to have the recordings saved to the library you will need to remove the activity zones". What's the sense of having cross triggering if because of activity zones you can't ever see the image from the cross triggered device...it makes no sense at all.

I would suggest that you verify this with someone else, preferably the next level of support and find out if that statement is true. 

Below is from ARLO which shows the features of Arlo Smart and conflicts directly with your statement. Here's the conflicting  feature..."Cloud activity zones"...check it out!

When you purchase an Arlo device with a 1-year trial, the trial activates automatically after you set up the device in the Arlo app.

The Arlo Smart 1-year trial includes the following benefits for up to 10 cameras per Arlo account:

• Rolling 30-day cloud recording with a maximum video resolution of 1080p
  • Person, Vehicle, Animal, and Package detection
  • Smoke and CO detection
  • Cloud activity zones
  • Notification filtering
  • Rich notifications with preview images and live streaming from your phone’s lock screen
  • e911 service that connects you to emergency responders near your home, no matter where you call from (US only)

...and below is the Security Light feature page from ARLO. You'll note that it says..."You can set your Arlo cameras to record when your Arlo Security Light detects motion" and also..."For example, if your Arlo Security Light detects motion, your Arlo Pro 2 camera starts recording" nowhere does it say UNLESS YOU HAVE ACTIVITY ZONES SET IN THAT CAMERA!

The Arlo Security Light pairs well with Arlo camera systems. You can create rules for your cameras when the Arlo Security Light detects motion. For example, if your Arlo Security Light detects motion, your Arlo Pro 2 camera starts recording. Arlo Security Lights also add extra security by illuminating areas of your home that your Arlo cameras monitor.

Your Arlo Security Light offers the following features:

• 100% wire-free.  The Arlo Security Light is 100% wire-free, so you don’t need to worry about placing it near a power outlet.
  • Water resistant. Your Arlo Security Light is IP65-certified, so you can place it indoors or outdoors.
  • Rechargeable battery. Arlo Security Lights use rechargeable batteries. You can easily charge the batteries when they are low and save money by not having to buy disposable batteries. 
  • Smart controls. You can use the Arlo app to manage your lights from anywhere.
  • Motion detection alerts. The Arlo Security Light sends alerts to your smartphone or email when it detects motion.
  • 400 lumens. Your Arlo Security Light can provide up to 400 lumens to illuminate any outdoor or indoor area.
  • Customizable settings. Using the Arlo app, you can customize various settings, such as the LED color, the brightness of the beam, and the width of the beam.
  • Scheduling. You can set a schedule to automatically activate and deactivate your Arlo Light.
  • Compatible with Arlo camera systems. You can set your Arlo cameras to record when your Arlo Security Light detects motion. For more information, see How do I set up my Arlo cameras and my Arlo Security Lights to trigger each other?.
  • Millions of LED light color options. You can choose from over 16 million hues for LED light colors.
  • IFTTT integration. You can create an IoT ecosystem by integrating your Arlo Security Lights with other IFTTT compatible devices.
  • Compatible with Amazon Alexa. You can pair your Arlo Security Light with Amazon Alexa sand use voice commands to turn your light on or off. For more information, see What voice commands can I use with my Arlo Security Light system and Amazon Alexa?.

I can go on copying and pasting Arlo features from multiple Arlo web pages but I think you get the point...

Paul

KachinaShadow
Luminary
Luminary

ShayneS,

Just one more thing and I'll wait for an answer...

Your statement "This is feature is by design, if you would like to have the recordings saved to the library you will need to remove the activity zones" doesn't make sense since if this is a "feature" then why doesn't anyone know about it?

Yourself, Jessica & support have all seen my post and nobody has ever mentioned this "feature".

By the way the definition of feature is..."Feature is defined as to give or bring special attention to someone or something"...this isn't exactly something special.

Paul

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation