Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
sia_later
Star
Star

Hi all,

Hoping to find someone in the community that might be having the same issues as me.

Now generally speaking, there are numerous issues people are having with the app - one of which I'm still unable to access my locally stored recordings. However the latest and greatest source of frustration of all is the app consistently fails to log in because it thinks I'm not connected to the internet.

The pattern I've seen is that it appears to happen if I don't access the app for a period of time e.g. >2 hrs

This also impacts me being able to access the app if I get a video alert. I can't get into the live view because of course it still thinks I'm not connected to the internet. If you're asking the question - yes I'm definitely connected as other applications work e.g. Gmail, Whatsapp etc

The only solution thus far is by force closing it which of course isn't a sustainable option. Reinstalled the app. Re-adding device as a trusted one didn't yield any success either. My other option is rolling back versions but this has been happening for quite a number of releases so I'd probably have to go back further than I'd like. And yes, in older releases, this issue was not present.

For general awareness, my network setup is as follows:

R7000 main router

Secondary R7000 acting as a wireless bridge with the Smarthub connected via ethernet

EX7300 wireless extender

All SSIDs were used to test with - same symptoms with the app

Android 10

app version 2.18.1_28070

Smarthub firmware ver: 1.16.2.4_629_f4757f1

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
sia_later
Star
Star

Thanks for the suggestion.

All my comms gear are on the same subnet. However, it did trigger something else to try.

So instead, I set my Smarthub with a static IP and also remembered that I had previously set my phone to have a static IP. I set it back to dynamic and it's been connecting without issues since.

Still doesn't make sense to me how having a static IP on a client stops comms eventually but given the strange network behaviour this app is built under, I'd also solved the 'access to local recordings' issue through port forwarding. Still can't 'live view' in 4k though which is less of a PITA (just marginally though).

It's clearly thinking my wireless bridge extends beyond my LAN which is quite a gap in the app's capabilities. Hopefully they notice this post and consider scenarios outside of a generic 'plug and play into my router/modem' situation.

-C

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
pjama
Luminary
Luminary

> one of which I'm still unable to access my locally stored recordings.

If my recent experience with android 10 and VPN experience is anything to go by, this seems to fail unless your device is on the same subnet as your Arlo hub. Try while connected to your main router as opposed to your wireless bridged router (that presumably has a different subnet)

>The pattern I've seen is that it appears to happen if I don't access the app for a period of time e.g. >2 hrs

> This also impacts me being able to access the app if I get a video alert. I can't get into the live view because of course it

> still thinks I'm not connected to the internet. If you're asking the question - yes I'm definitely connected as other applications work e.g. Gmail, Whatsapp etc

I've had that in the past although not currently. Could it be your mobile changing IPs. I know the portal is a bit sensitive to that. You might be able to rule that in/out with a google of "what's my IP" at the time it breaks.

> Android 10

> app version 2.18.1_28070

> Smarthub firmware ver: 1.16.2.4_629_f4757f1

Same.

Palominoryda
Aspirant
Aspirant
i phone not connecting to home base. When I log in I can access all my cameras, sound,speakers, live view but not my base hub. Keeps saying getting information. First month it worked flawlessly. Anyone have any suggestions. I already removed and reinstalled app twice and paired cameras
sia_later
Star
Star

Thanks for the suggestion.

All my comms gear are on the same subnet. However, it did trigger something else to try.

So instead, I set my Smarthub with a static IP and also remembered that I had previously set my phone to have a static IP. I set it back to dynamic and it's been connecting without issues since.

Still doesn't make sense to me how having a static IP on a client stops comms eventually but given the strange network behaviour this app is built under, I'd also solved the 'access to local recordings' issue through port forwarding. Still can't 'live view' in 4k though which is less of a PITA (just marginally though).

It's clearly thinking my wireless bridge extends beyond my LAN which is quite a gap in the app's capabilities. Hopefully they notice this post and consider scenarios outside of a generic 'plug and play into my router/modem' situation.

-C

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation