Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Connection Timed Out

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation
lmondot
Tutor
Tutor

After this Sunday's update, when signing into my Arlo account (on both email and phone app) my cameras either time out during loading and I get a timeout error or it says they're no longer connecting to the internet.  The internet is still functioning and is connected to the hub since my other cameras work.  I can usually get 1-2 of my 4 to work at once.  HELP, my cameras were working great before!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This issue should be resolved with the latest camera firmware update. Please check here to confirm your camera is on the latest firmware: Firmware Release Notes

JamesC

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

lmondot,

How many cameras are you trying to stream at once when you experience the issue?

What is the signal strength showing for the cameras having an issue?

JamesC

lmondot
Tutor
Tutor

It happens when I am only trying to stream one or multiple.  Signal strength is "good" but literally nothing has changed since the update with my set up and I was able to stream all 4 at the same time previously without an issue.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Imondot,

I will reach out to you in a private message to gather more information on this issue.

JamesC

VCG
Apprentice
Apprentice
I'm having the same issues with live streaming. (Connection has timed out) happens 9 out of 10 times I live stream just one camera all more than one.
VCG
Apprentice
Apprentice
This issue did not start until the most recent update on March 23.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm working closely with the engineering team investigating these reports. I will provide an update as soon as I have more information.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused and appreciate your patience as we work to resolve this issue.

JamesC

ItsPlayTime
Apprentice
Apprentice
Probable solution for you guys

I had this issue with 2 of my Ultras after the same update. It was accompanied by zero second recordings showing up in the library for the same cameras.

I tried power cycling both of the cameras (battery pull for 60 seconds) and reciting the base station. Neither of these seemed to work.

SOLUTION
I finally solved the issue(s) by removing each camera (via the Android app -> 3 dots ... to go to camera's device settings -> Remove Device. I then Added the camera back via app.

The good news is that it solved both the camera time out issue and the zero second recordings issue.

Begin rant
The bad news is that even though the camera has the same serial number, is on the same account, is on the same base station, and was even given the same name it previously had; it loses the 4k recording upgrade... Annoying!
More annoying is that to put 4k recording back on those cameras I'll have to cancel it on all of my cameras (triggering a refund) and re-order the 4k upgrade on all of the cameras again.

I haven't done that yet as I'm still awaiting the refund from this same process which I had to do because I moved 3 of my 8 cameras to my second base station. Arlo support says the refund has been processed but nothing has gotten to my bank yet.
I'm actually really annoyed that those 2 cameras aren't recording in 4k as there is a significant difference in the quality of the recordings.

Sorry about that rant.

I hope my solution works for you guys.
ItsPlayTime
Apprentice
Apprentice
I had this issue with two of my cameras after the same update. Along with this issue was another in which the cameras had zero second recordings in the library whenever they were triggered by motion.

SOLUTION:
I eventually solved it by removing the two cameras from the Ultra Hub/account & adding them back to it. This solved both the connection timeout issue & the zero second recordings issue.

The annoying thing is that you'll lose your 4k recording upgrade. The extra annoying thing is that you have to remove 4k recording from all cameras and get a refund in order to add it back onto all of the cameras. I still haven't done this as I'm still awaiting my refund from having to do the same routine when switching 3 cameras to my second base station.

Anyhow, I hope my solution works for you all.
bws1970
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having this issue with my 3 cameras which I received today from Amazon. (They all performed a software update). 

I only seem to be able to be streaming 2 of the 3 at once, the other shows as offline. If I power cycle that one, then it comes up and another random one falls off.  All 3 cameras and the base station are on the desk, within sight and 2 feet of each other.

VCG
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have had the same issue.  I did move the hub/base and it seems to be better for now. The problem is the arlo ultra has no distance in signal strength. I hope they can remedy this problem. My furtfhest one of 4 camera's is 35 foot from the hub/base.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I believe the recommendation is ~6 foot separation between cameras - they may be interfering with each other if too close.

The distance otherwise isn't the only possible issue. Home consruction and objects in/on walls between the base and cameras can cause blockage and make the cameras struggle to maintain the connection. That may be why moving the base helped - the signal is now passing through a somewhat different collection of objects.

VCG
Apprentice
Apprentice
I agree about the obstacles and interference possibilities. I used a longer cat 5 cable and moved the hub away from TV area and up higher. That has helped alot, I can now live stream. But I could live stream when it was in the original spot. That was before the most recent firmware update. Something changed and not for the better after that update.
My cameras are greater than 10 foot apart always have been.
VCG
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have found that in 4k live stream it seems to connect fine. If I change it to auto zoom and track I have the no connection issue in live stream.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This issue should be resolved with the latest camera firmware update. Please check here to confirm your camera is on the latest firmware: Firmware Release Notes

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation