Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
troy97
Aspirant
Aspirant
So 2 of my cameras out of 3 that are outside are not working says they need to warm up as it’s -20c outside. I have them plugged in to constantly charge. I was hoping that they would work without the battery inside but they need the battery in order to be on. So it’s not constant power it charges the battery and runs on the battery. I’m not impressed with the cameras for the $1500 spent. I have to build a insulated box for them now. Hoping that will work.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The issue isn't the battery per se. The battery stops charging at ~32F/0C. The CAMERA stops working (as advertised) at -4F/-20C. That's regardless of whether a battery is installed or not. You can try warming the camera and removing the battery so only AC power is applied to see if that makes a difference but I doubt it.

An insulated box may or may not help. It may simply slow down the rate of cooling but will ultimately go to the ambient temp. If the camera emits enough heat due to being plugged in, it may continue working since the box would trap that heat. Only testing would tell.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The issue isn't the battery per se. The battery stops charging at ~32F/0C. The CAMERA stops working (as advertised) at -4F/-20C. That's regardless of whether a battery is installed or not. You can try warming the camera and removing the battery so only AC power is applied to see if that makes a difference but I doubt it.

An insulated box may or may not help. It may simply slow down the rate of cooling but will ultimately go to the ambient temp. If the camera emits enough heat due to being plugged in, it may continue working since the box would trap that heat. Only testing would tell.

MJanis
Guide
Guide

I purchased the Ultra 4 camera kit and have purchased two additional cameras.  Two of my cameras stopped recording or picking up any motion.  The coldest it has been here has been about 35F(or 1.6C).  The temperature is far from the "-4F".  Why did my cameras stopped functioning?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

MJanis,

Are the cameras Armed? Are you seeing an error message?

JamesC

MJanis
Guide
Guide

Yes, my system is Armed.  I do not see an Error message.  The cameras just stopped recording.  I know because i see vehicles going by and people walking the dogs and some dogs are going on my yard.  When you see the camera has Not recorded anything for 12 - 20 hours - you know there is something wrong.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you tested it yourself? What mode is selected? Have you rebooted the hub?

MJanis
Guide
Guide

jguerdat,

Yes i have tested it myself.  Mode is = My Hub and yes it is Armed.  Yes I have rebooted the hub.

After a couple of days, of completely signing out of the phone app (several times), the cameras are back up.  I am watching them closely and will continue to do so.

Thanks,

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation