Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Detecting motion behind glass

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
snowPhoenix
Initiate
Initiate

I have read from older posts that Arlo Ultra uses PIR to detect motion; and because of this, the Arlo Ultra can't be used behind glass.  However, there was a firmware release (1.15.0.1_244_c345a43 that was released on 2-Dec-2019) that allowed my Arlo Ultra's to detect and record motion behind glass!   When the next firmware release (1.15.0.4_297_aa40f04 that was released on 18-Dec-2019) was installed, the "through glass" motion detection stopped working.

If the "through glass" motion detection was enabled on a version of firmware, why can't this feature to a use settable option?

I don't want to place my Arlo Ultra outside where someone can come along and take it... which leads to me my next question:  Why doesn't Arlo make bracket (or mount) for the camera that can be secured?  Wasserstein makes a "security bracket" for the Arlo Ultra, but you can easily push the "eject camera" button, making the item completely useless.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

snowPhoenix,

While it's not impossible to detect motion through glass, it's not likely to behave consistently or reliably. For more information on detecting motion through glass, take a look here: Does motion detection work through glass or windows?

JamesC

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

snowPhoenix,

While it's not impossible to detect motion through glass, it's not likely to behave consistently or reliably. For more information on detecting motion through glass, take a look here: Does motion detection work through glass or windows?

JamesC

snowPhoenix
Initiate
Initiate

Thanks for the reply, JamesC!

In the link that you provided, it seems to imply that the Arlo Ultra does (or can) use a frame by frame comparison..  but this does not seem to be the case.

"Frame-by-frame comparison, the type of motion detection used by Arlo Ultra, Arlo Q, Arlo Q Plus, and Arlo Baby, sometimes detects false positives due to moving reflections in glass surfaces."

I would be fine with false positives due to moving reflections in the glass surfaces..  since I've placed my cameras in (mostly) unused rooms.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation