Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 43 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Amar66
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello, have had an Arlo Ultra cam since 2019. 

Firmware: 1.19.0.3._123768a8e53

Serial number: 5GP18C7BA15FF

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy s23 Ultra (on my old phone, the Galaxy s20+ streaming didn't work either). 

In the beginning, when I got the cam, streaming in 4k worked, then it suddenly stopped working. This has been this way for over 2 years. 

Is there a solution to this problem??

Many thanks, Amar

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Amar66 wrote:

I found it now, all app permissions are given in my phone, for camera, contacs, location, microphone, music and audio, nearby devices, notifications, phone, photos and videos.

Ok.  One definitive test is to put your phone in airplane mode, and then enable wifi.  That will force the app to use your wifi connection.

I'm assuming you will be able to livestream in that mode.  Since you aren't seeing the recording control, the app is set up to livestream in 4K.  I have seen some posts saying that the 4K/2K labeling isn't always correct (and I saw that on my own phone, as I noted earlier in the thread).

So I am thinking that you are actually are livestreaming in 4K, even though you aren't seeing much difference. (Honestly I don't see much if any on my iPhone 12 mini, though results might be different on a phone with a bigger screen).

View solution in original post

43 REPLIES 43
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Amar66 wrote:

In the beginning, when I got the cam, streaming in 4k worked, then it suddenly stopped working. This has been this way for over 2 years. 

Are you saying that livestreaming doesn't work at all when the 4K livestream setting is turned on?

If you are instead saying that livestreaming works but is only 1080p, then check that

• 4K livestreaming is still enabled for the camera
  • Auto Zoom & Tracking is disabled
  • the phone is connected to your home wifi network
Amar66
Aspirant
Aspirant

Live stream works, but only in 1080p, all the other things, as you wrote, I can confirm. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Amar66 wrote:

Live stream works, but only in 1080p, all the other things, as you wrote, I can confirm. 

Ok.

What you you streaming to? Streaming to the browser only works in 1080p (likely because rendering HEVC 4K in your browser only works if your PC has hardware acceleration for HEVC).

4K livestreaming to the phone app should work if the phone is connected to your local wifi. 

I am wondering - is your base connected to the same device that hosts your wifi?   Sometimes people end up double-routing if they have a gateway plus their own router.  In that case, if you connect the base to the gateway you won't be able to get 4K livestreaming.

FWIW, I keep 4K livestreaming disabled myself, because I want the option to make a manual recording/snapshot while livestreaming.  Enabling the 4K setting removes those features.

Amar66
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply and help. I'm streaming to my phone, not to my laptop. So I downloaded a little app which tells me what's on my home wifi. One of the items is called VMB5000, I believe that's the base. My phone too is connected to my home wifi. So, it's still a mystery to me! 

Amar66
Aspirant
Aspirant

I unplugged the base, plugged it back in, still, live-stream on phone in 1080p...

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Amar66 wrote:

I unplugged the base, plugged it back in, still, live-stream on phone in 1080p...

How do you know it is 1080p?

When you are livestreaming, are you seeing a record control (or a snapshot control).  If you see nothing on the live video image, then touch it.

Amar66
Aspirant
Aspirant

The reason why I think it's 1080p (full hd) is because I don't see the 4k in the video anymore, as I did in the beginning. I'm therefore assuming it isn't 4k. Also, when I active 4k streaming in the settings, I see no difference.

Amar66
Aspirant
Aspirant
Spoiler

There is neither record nor snap shot control on the screen, when I live stream.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Amar66 wrote:

There is neither record nor snap shot control on the screen, when I live stream.

Normally I don't enable the 4K livestream option, because I want the option to record. 

However, I recently checked, and found the same behavior you did.  When disabled, I can record.  When enabled, the recording option disappears - but no 4K logo is displayed.  This is with the iOS app.  I think it used to have a 4K logo, but I could be mis-remembering that.

There is likely a bug either with icon display or with the streaming itself.  I am thinking that it is in fact streaming in 4K - but honestly, I've never seen much difference in livestreaming.  There would be some if I'd zoomed the image, but that's not something I usually do.

Tagging the mods ( @JamesC and @ShayneS ) in case they want to follow up.

Amar66
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hmm, interesting. I remember a few years ago there was a 4k logo while streaming and I did notice a difference in 4k- and non 4k streaming. Not sure what to do now. Nobody ever answered when I contacted arlo via email in the past.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Amar66 wrote:

Hmm, interesting. I remember a few years ago there was a 4k logo while streaming and I did notice a difference in 4k- and non 4k streaming. Not sure what to do now. Nobody ever answered when I contacted arlo via email in the past.

I'm tagging the mods ( @JamesC and @ShayneS ) - hopefully they will look into it.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Amar66 

Thank you for the detailed info you provide. A resolution for this issue is available in a later firmware version that is not yet released in your region. We will provide an update once we have more information available to share.

Amar66
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the info. 

As I said, I have had this problem for years and had no clue why this happened (in the beginning I *could* stream in 4k). Do you know why this function was canceled? What was the point in that? And, is there any info on when this update will be, so I can stream again, as advertised? Thanks.

Amar66
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sadly the problem is not yet solved. 

Moderators here wrote I need a firmware update for it to work in my region (Switzerland), I find that somewhat strange. . 

I wrote Arlo directly, the Swiss branch, after having left a message on the playstore ratings platform, but haven't heard from then. It's very frustrating.

Amar66
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is anyone able to help? Am not getting any response from the arlo help desk. .🤷‍♂️

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Amar66 wrote:

Is anyone able to help? Am not getting any response from the arlo help desk. .🤷‍♂️

What firmware is the camera and base running?

FWIW, Arlo has a contract in place with Verisure for Europe.  That slows down the release process for firmware updates in Europe.  Arlo support can't speed that process up.

Amar66
Aspirant
Aspirant

Firmware (I think this is of the hub): 1.19.0.3_1237_68a8e53

Firmware of cam: 1.070.52.1_35_1bdb65f

really hope this will sometime be solved, been waiting for over 2 years. 

Thanks. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Amar66 

It looks like you Smart Hub was updated to a later version firmware, can you test again and make sure local 4k live streaming is enabled in your settings. 

Amar66
Aspirant
Aspirant

Not sure what you're saying, but local 4k live streaming is always enabled and I still don't get a 4k stream image.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Are you connected to the same wifi network?

Amar66
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, I am.

Edinburgh_lad1
Prodigy
Prodigy

Check the following:

- go to the Hub's settings, then Storage Settings > Record in Maximum Resolution (enabled this option)

- go to your camera(s), then to Device Settings > Video Settings > local 4k video streaming (enable this option), auto zoom and tracking (disable this option), power management (choose 'best option')

- restart your Hub

- test if 4k streaming works

- if it doesn't, this could be down to your Internet connection speed (you need to raise it with your Internet Service Provider)

- you may also want to consult the following (https://www.arlo.com/en_gb/support/faq/1179147/How-do-I-get-better-picture-quality-from-my-Arlo-came...)

- I'm in the UK and can confirm that 4k streaming works

Let us know how you get on.

Amar66
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your help. The hub storage settings can't be changed, as I haven't inserted an sd card. 

The cam's settings are all as yosuggested. 

My internet speed is fast, just checked on speedtest.net almost 70 Mbps download speed. 🤷‍♂️

Amar66
Aspirant
Aspirant

Upload btw was 54 Mbps

Discussion stats
  • 43 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation