Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Cannot get smart hub to communicate with my new router

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Tannerlee92
Aspirant
Aspirant

Cannot get smart hub to communicate with my router. Worked with my old router was recommended to replace by ISP. Took to friends and smart hub was able to connect to their router immediately. What am I missing here ISP wants to know ports to be opened or any other security issues that aren't permitting the devices to communicate. VMB5000

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tannerlee92
Aspirant
Aspirant

I found the solution. Appreciate all of your help. The issue ended up being rather simple. When the ISP tech installed the new router they had suggested my wife downloads an app for monitoring connected devices. She did not recognize the vmb5000 figured it was a neighbor trying to access our wifi. She blocked it, had her remove block and boom. Arlo is up and running.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Tannerlee92 wrote:

Cannot get smart hub to communicate with my router. 

What is the status of the LED on the smarthub

Also, are you seeing the smarthub in the attached device list on your router?

@Tannerlee92 wrote:

What am I missing here ISP wants to know ports to be opened or any other security issues that aren't permitting the devices to communicate. VMB5000

Generally there aren't any special settings for ports.  The smarthub makes outbound connections through ports 80 and 443 (http/https), and also 123 (NTP time sync).

Tannerlee92
Aspirant
Aspirant

StevenB

On my Arlo smart hub I am seeing a flashing amber light when connected to my home router. When connected to my friends router I see a solid blue and am able to access my cameras. When I go to my wifi connections settings I can see my Arlo device as an option. It's password secured but it has an excellent signal

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Tannerlee92 wrote:

On my Arlo smart hub I am seeing a flashing amber light when connected to my home router. When connected to my friends router I see a solid blue and am able to access my cameras. When I go to my wifi connections settings I can see my Arlo device as an option. It's password secured but it has an excellent signal

Ok.  But the info you are given isn't enough to tell me if the hub is connecting to your router or not.

Look in your router's admin web page, and see if the smarthub is listed on the attached device page.  If you can't tell which device is which, try taking a screenshot with the smarthub disconnected, and then reconnect it.

Tannerlee92
Aspirant
Aspirant

 i assume this is what you're talking about. The smart hub is connected to port 4. Seems to be connected as well as sending and receiving packets

IMG_20230420_071423477_HDR.jpg

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@StephenB is asking if the router has assigned an IP address to the hub. The physical connection is one thing but the logical one (assigned IP address) is another important piece. You need to log into the router and check the list of connected devices (like your phone, computer, etc.) to verify that the hub shows up, too.

Tannerlee92
Aspirant
Aspirant

From my understanding as told by ISP they have assigned a static IP for specifically the base.

Tannerlee92
Aspirant
Aspirant

ISP has stated that they could verify those devices are showing a connection

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That would be unusual for an ISP to do that. Is it possible that they told you that they assigned a static IP address for your ROUTER instead? WHo owns the router - you or the ISP?

Tannerlee92
Aspirant
Aspirant

ISP owns the router, from my understanding what they've tried so far is setting up a static IP for I think the router to the base, opened up ports 443, 80 and 123 both in tcp and udp. They claim they can see that the base is showing the base is connected. I know the base is good, I know the internet connection is good coming to the router, I know that the ethernet cable is in good working order. As I stated previously I was able to connect to it at a friend's house with their router.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Tannerlee92 wrote:

ISP owns the router, from my understanding what they've tried so far is setting up a static IP for I think the router to the base, opened up ports 443, 80 and 123 both in tcp and udp. They claim they can see that the base is showing the base is connected. I know the base is good, I know the internet connection is good coming to the router, I know that the ethernet cable is in good working order. As I stated previously I was able to connect to it at a friend's house with their router.

Likely they are saying that the router is showing the base as connected.

Have you tried using the mobile app both 

1. when connected to your home wifi
  2. when only using mobile data

Also try using my.arlo.com from a PC, and see if that gives you different results.

Another thing to ask the ISP about is how DNS servers are configured in the router.  There was a post here a few months saying that if there were more than two, the base wouldn't work properly.  Some secure DNS protocols might not work either.  They could try configuring DNS to use just 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1 and see if that makes any difference.

Tannerlee92
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have tried to access the app on my phone with just wifi and just data. I have tried to access on home pc connected to Ethernet port with no change. Are there any other settings for the DNS I need to be aware of for ISP to configure?

Tannerlee92
Aspirant
Aspirant

From my understanding, the ISP tech has stated the reason why I was able to use the Arlo with my old router and my friends router but not this one may be because of the added security features to this new router. They have asked for a list of specific settings for DNS, port forwarding or anything else that is specific to the Arlo base.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Tannerlee92 wrote:

They have asked for a list of specific settings for DNS, port forwarding or anything else that is specific to the Arlo base.

I don't work for Arlo, so I can only share what I've learned myself (either directly or from other posters).

My own router is an Orbi mesh system.  I do not have a static IP address, and I have not had to open any ports to the Arlo base.  I haven't assigned a local LAN IP address to any of my base stations.

I have two DNS entries - primary is to my ISP's server, the secondary is set to Cloudflare (1.1.1.1).  I suggest testing with Google as primary (8.8.8.8) in order to rule out some interaction with the ISP DNS server.

IPv6 is disabled.  So are Access Controls.  Parental controls (content filtering, Netgear's Armor package,...) are disabled.

Port Scan and DoS protection is enabled.

WiFi security is set to WPA2 (AES).

None of these settings are specific to the base (just the normal settings I have set up on the router).  But it's possible that one of them might matter.

A basic test you could try is pinging the base from your PC.  Your ISP support person should be able to walk you through the steps needed for that.

Tannerlee92
Aspirant
Aspirant

ISP claim that everything you stated that is applicable to our router they have tried. BE NICE IF ARLO STAFF WOULD GIVE ME HELP

Tannerlee92
Aspirant
Aspirant

I will attempt to ping device from my PC when I get home today will post results. What specifically will pinging do or tell me

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Tannerlee92 wrote:

What specifically will pinging do or tell me

If the base station fails to respond, it tells you that either the ethernet connection in the router or the base is failing.

If it responds normally, then it suggests that the local connection is likely ok, and that the problem is the path between the router and the Arlo Cloud.

@Tannerlee92 wrote:

BE NICE IF ARLO STAFF WOULD GIVE ME HELP

If you have a subscribed camera still showing in the app (likely off-line), then you can access phone support using the support area in the app.

Tannerlee92
Aspirant
Aspirant

I found the solution. Appreciate all of your help. The issue ended up being rather simple. When the ISP tech installed the new router they had suggested my wife downloads an app for monitoring connected devices. She did not recognize the vmb5000 figured it was a neighbor trying to access our wifi. She blocked it, had her remove block and boom. Arlo is up and running.

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation