Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can you determine which model Ultra this is (1 or 2) from device info?

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
AbeG
Apprentice
Apprentice

Which model ULTRA is this, original or Ultra 2?  

Thank you.

IMG_4970.PNG

11 REPLIES 11
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@AbeG wrote:

Which model ULTRA is this, original or Ultra 2?  

@JamesC or @ShayneS might be able to tell from the serial number or perhaps the hardware revision.  But firmware is the same for both, so that can't be used to distinguish them.

Inside the camera there is a label that might help - it says Arlo Ultra on the Ultra 1.  But I don't have an Ultra 2, so I can't compare them.  If you have the packaging, the Ultra 2 has -200 in the part number (after the VMC5040 bit).

I am wondering why you want to know this.

AbeG
Apprentice
Apprentice

If we had access to the camera I would not have asked the question.  😀

It’s in a non-accessible location. All we know is it’s 4k so it has to be one of the 2 models and I’m not climbing a ladder to find out.   Was hoping the H10 hardware might be a clue.  

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@AbeG wrote:

If we had access to the camera I would not have asked the question.  😀

The two cameras are essentially identical.  The Ultra 2 claims more range, but I haven't seen confirmation of that here from users who have both.

AbeG
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am aware of that. Actually the only difference is one of them (Ultra 2) uses dual band 2.4Ghz/5Ghz Wi-Fi to connect to the dual band (model 5000) hub while the original Ultra uses only 2.4Ghz band which can make a big difference for longer distant connectivity.  But that doesn’t answer my question.  But thanks anyway.  

AbeG
Apprentice
Apprentice

5Ghz band also avoids a lot of interference that is generated on the 2.4Ghz band in Wi-Fi congested areas but that isn’t the point, The point is we are trying to figure out what this guy has without accessing a camera that is 25 feet off the ground.  😀

AbeG
Apprentice
Apprentice

Furthermore, unless one has the dual band model 5000  hub with the Ultra 2 there would be no difference in connection distance as the camera would drop to 2.4Ghz and be 100% identical to the Ultra 1.  One would have to have the matching Dual band hub to make use of the dual band camera’s extended connection distance to test any distance advantage to the Ultra 2 over the Ultra.  

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@AbeG wrote:

5Ghz band also avoids a lot of interference that is generated on the 2.4Ghz band in Wi-Fi congested areas

And has shorter range.

@AbeG wrote:

The point is we are trying to figure out what this guy has without accessing a camera that is 25 feet off the ground.  😀

FWIW, folks here (including me) have asked to have the camera model included in device info for some years.  Hopefully Arlo will get to it.

If the guy has a subscription, you could use phone support (from the app).  They can tell you.

AbeG
Apprentice
Apprentice

While 2.4 has a longer range the building penetration is much less thereby reducing the "effective range" through concrete, stucco, brick, metal, insulation etc. like in an apartment building.  <wink wink>  5Ghz gives you better building penetration (think apartment buildings) and avoids large amounts of WiFi interference (again think apartment buildings).  5Ghz also gives you greater bandwidth which is helpful with 4K transmission.

This is all fine but ALL I WANT TO KNOW is what model camera this guy has and that question has absolutely nothing to do with anything other than WHAT MODEL CAMERA THE GUY HAS.  We don't care about anything other than that which was why I asked the short, simple and direct question in the OP but thank you for all the other info.    😀😀😀

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@AbeG wrote:

ALL I WANT TO KNOW is what model camera this guy has 

As I said, support can tell you.  The mods ( @JamesC and @ShayneS ) might also be able to tell from the serial numbers - however they likely won't respond until Monday.

FWIW, my own Ultras (not Ultra 2s) are hardware revision H6. 

@AbeG wrote:

While 2.4 has a longer range the building penetration is much less thereby reducing the "effective range" through concrete, stucco, brick, metal, insulation etc. like in an apartment building. 

https://www.am1.us/wp-content/uploads/Documents/E10589_Propagation_Losses_2_and_5GHz.pdf

An extensive materials-loss measurement program was recently conducted at the University of Southern California (USC) under contract with Magis Networks. The program investigated propagation loss using USC’s large on-campus anechoic chamber. This report documents the measurement techniques used and the results obtained. Aside from large cement blocks and red bricks that displayed somewhat more loss at 5 GHz than at 2.4 GHz (Table 3), losses for all other materials tested were very much the same in both frequency regimes.

Though off topic, if you have a reference that gives different results I would be interested in seeing it.

AbeG
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yes. you are correct.    I got the penetration advantage reversed.   I do know better having dealt with it for a major part of my 75 years but I guess having been retired for 6 years my memory is failing.    However, in this case, there are dozens of families close by so the low band interference could become an issue.

In any case it is an Ultra 2 so the issue is resolved and the question answered.  It turns out the Arlo Ultra(1) 2 camera refurb kit with single band vmb4540 bridge he got from Amazon turned out to be an Ultra 2 with dual band vmb5000 bridge in the box despite the box’s markings and what was ordered which was a good thing. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@AbeG wrote:

In any case it is an Ultra 2 so the issue is resolved 

Great.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation