Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
n11
Apprentice
Apprentice

Has something changed in the last day or two relative to watching a library video on a PC. I know that flash is long gone and up until now I've been able to watch library videos using Microsoft Edge on a PC. I have an HEVC video extension installed.

Now when I click on a video I get this error message. "This video is not able to play in your browser. Please download to view."

I have no problem watching the videos on my mobile app. I have no idea if something changed in Edge or if Arlo changed something. Is anyone else having any similar issues?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
n11
Apprentice
Apprentice

All of a sudden I can watch library videos again using Microsoft Edge on a PC. I'm not aware of any updates in the last few days that would have enabled this. I haven't seen any Win10 system updates, Arlo base station updates, or Edge updates. Is it possible there was an Arlo server side change? Whatever the reason I'm very pleased to have this capability back.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Edge, if updated, is now using the Chromium code base like Chrome. As such, the issue is the lack of a license to use the appropriate decoder for anything greater than 1080p. It's my understanding that newer hardware allows decoding with plugins but I don't have experience with that.

Basically, it's a browser issue...

n11
Apprentice
Apprentice

@jguerdat 

Thanks for the quick response and it's a logical possibility. I think (but I'm not sure) that Edge switched to the Chromium code several months ago and yet I've had no problem viewing library videos. Are you (or anyone) aware of a change in Edge over the last two days that would have broken what had been working.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You could manually upgrade Edge a number of months ago but it's just been recently (not sure of the exact timing) that it was included in normal updates. In any event, I rarely use Edge so can't comment on what you've observed.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

The latest Edge update won't allow the HEVC unless it's done in hardware.  I had to roll back to a prior date before the update to get the old Edge back and then turn off updates because it's forced on you anytime Windows updates.  They can only be turned off for 35 days though.  Before that time is up I will have to use reg edit to block the new Edge installation.  I don't have the instructions with me right now while traveling but a online search will bring them up.  Because it messed up some businesses there are two ways, reg edit and a program to do it.  

n11
Apprentice
Apprentice

All of a sudden I can watch library videos again using Microsoft Edge on a PC. I'm not aware of any updates in the last few days that would have enabled this. I haven't seen any Win10 system updates, Arlo base station updates, or Edge updates. Is it possible there was an Arlo server side change? Whatever the reason I'm very pleased to have this capability back.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation