Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
paul21_sc
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can Arlo Ultra or Pro 2 operate while permanently plugged into power source? What are the implications?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

YES,  I have an Ultra and a Pro2 plugged into AC power covering 2 outside zone.  be advised, if you plan on using these cameras outdoors, please use the outdoor rated cables.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

YES,  I have an Ultra and a Pro2 plugged into AC power covering 2 outside zone.  be advised, if you plan on using these cameras outdoors, please use the outdoor rated cables.

paul21_sc
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you Hula_Rock. We are also worried about the battery overcharging if the power source is permanently plugged in. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The batteries charge to a real 80% but the interface shows 100%. That;s to prevent the batteries from overcharging. It's normal and very correct.

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy
My pro 2 has been sitting outside since they were released w/battery installed as power backup just in case AC goes out.
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@paul21_sc wrote:

What are the implications?

One implication is that permanent power means that you get to use features that do not work in battery only mode.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
DamianR
Apprentice
Apprentice
Ultras on the external power adapter are great.
Allows zones and CVR too.
Batteries dont over charge, but charge way quicker than with the indoor unit.
The nighttime motion detection uses PIR and pixel detect. Very sensitive.
This MAY give you a lot of triggers from insects passing the cameras outdoors.
I am currently using a smartplug to turn the camera chargers "on at a am, off at 6pm. Works great.
Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation