Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras|NETGEAR

The Arlo Community

Learn, explore, ask questions, and connect with our community of customers and experts.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Top Contributors
Caught on Arlo Video Contest
Share Video

Share Your Video!
Caught something cool on Arlo? Share it with the Arlo Community.

Post a video
Highlighted
Aspirant

Can Arlo Ultra or Pro 2 operate while permanently plugged into power source?

Can Arlo Ultra or Pro 2 operate while permanently plugged into power source? What are the implications?

Model: VMC3030 | Arlo Wire-Free Camera, VMC4030 | Arlo Pro Wire-Free Camera
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Prodigy

Re: Can Arlo Ultra or Pro 2 operate while permanently plugged into power source?

YES,  I have an Ultra and a Pro2 plugged into AC power covering 2 outside zone.  be advised, if you plan on using these cameras outdoors, please use the outdoor rated cables.

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
Prodigy

Re: Can Arlo Ultra or Pro 2 operate while permanently plugged into power source?

YES,  I have an Ultra and a Pro2 plugged into AC power covering 2 outside zone.  be advised, if you plan on using these cameras outdoors, please use the outdoor rated cables.

Message 2 of 7
Aspirant

Thank you Hula_Rock. We are also worried about the battery overcharging if the power source is permanently plugged in. 

Message 3 of 7
Guru

The batteries charge to a real 80% but the interface shows 100%. That;s to prevent the batteries from overcharging. It's normal and very correct.

Message 4 of 7
Prodigy

My pro 2 has been sitting outside since they were released w/battery installed as power backup just in case AC goes out.
Message 5 of 7

@paul21_sc wrote:

What are the implications?

One implication is that permanent power means that you get to use features that do not work in battery only mode.

My Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2, Security Light
Message 6 of 7
Tutor

Ultras on the external power adapter are great.
Allows zones and CVR too.
Batteries dont over charge, but charge way quicker than with the indoor unit.
The nighttime motion detection uses PIR and pixel detect. Very sensitive.
This MAY give you a lot of triggers from insects passing the cameras outdoors.
I am currently using a smartplug to turn the camera chargers "on at a am, off at 6pm. Works great.
Model: VMS5440 | Arlo Ultra 4 Camera Kit
Message 7 of 7