Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Bought Arlo Ultra 2, still charging me for Arlo Smart Premier Service

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
kwatts
Aspirant
Aspirant
They claim when you buy it you get 1 year of Arlo Smart Premier service, but I'm not seeing it. I did have the Arlo Pro 2 w/ 2 cameras before, and was paying for the plan, I thought it would update my plan for the year credit - but of course the system didn't 🙂 I'm having to post and ask the community because this is the only support channel that seems to work with Arlo, what a mess! The product and hardware is a beast and I love it - the software and support is one righteous mess. -Kevin
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

kwatts,

You shouldn't need to create a new account. As long as your existing account does not currently have a subscription you should get the free 1 year plan when you add the SmartHub. Try what jguerdat suggests above and please let me know if you experience any further issues.

JamesC

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

In the past I have been advised that creating a new Arlo account for your camera can get you the year's free service.

Sadly, that hasn't worked for me and the Ultra camera I received. Still stuck with the one-month trial. Year? Forget it.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The apparent issue is that you need to set up the Ultras either on a new account or on an existing account that has no subscription. I'd suggest removing all devices from Settings, My Devices and remove your subscription at the same time. Then start fresh with your existing account that no longer has a subscription and claim the base, followed by syncing the cameras and any other devices. You should then have the free 1 year subscription.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

kwatts,

You shouldn't need to create a new account. As long as your existing account does not currently have a subscription you should get the free 1 year plan when you add the SmartHub. Try what jguerdat suggests above and please let me know if you experience any further issues.

JamesC

martinm1
Guide
Guide

So....... if I am a great customer with multiple older cameras and have been paying $10/ mo for the premium service, I now buy the latest camera that comes with one year free then I only get that credit if I wipe out everything and start all over?  Surely, that is not right. 

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

@martinm1 wrote:

So....... if I am a great customer with multiple older cameras and have been paying $10/ mo for the premium service, I now buy the latest camera that comes with one year free then I only get that credit if I wipe out everything and start all over?  Surely, that is not right. 

No. You cancel your existing subscription and get a credit for the unused portion.  Then you add the Ultra Hub and camera to your existing system and activate the free 1-year.  The free 1-yr  covers the new camera and your old cameras (up to 10 total), so you save money.

martinm1
Guide
Guide

Thanks. Even if I retain my old hub and my older cameras connected to that hub?

@st_shaw wrote:

@martinm1 wrote:

No. You cancel your existing subscription and get a credit for the unused portion.  Then you add the Ultra Hub and camera to your existing system and activate the free 1-year.  The free 1-yr  covers the new camera and your old cameras (up to 10 total), so you save money.

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

That's how it worked for me with two exisitng Pro2s, one existing Pro1, and two existing Arlo hubs . I didn't have an existing Smart subscription though.

kwatts
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yeah, it was a bit of a mess. What I ended up doing was, 

- Cancelling the subscription on my account and removed the arlo hub ultra and all camers except the arlo baby camera 

- Tried to reconnect the Arlo Hub Ultra, surprise, wasn't working! Discovery on mobile and web was timing out.

- Reset the hub. Still nothing. 

- Called tech support, since the web talk live wouldn't work on my browser. Someone did pick up quick, suprisingly, if I'd of known that I would of called from the beginning. 

- Tech support confirmed you have to remove the hub, although, they did mention you could call and they would likely be able to do it over the phone too. 

- Anyhow, tried discovery, still didn't work on mobile phone (Pixel 3) then tried through web again. Realized I was connected to a virtual network (work) and when I disconnected it did work. 

- As soon as arlo ultra hub was found I was automatically enrolled in the premier for a year. 

One thing support did mention is the old pro 2 camera's would not work with the new arlo ultra hub. But they work with the new hub, at least they do for now. 

Hope this helps others that go through the same, basically, unsubscribe, remove hub/cameras, and start anew. 

kwatts
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yeah, it was a bit of a mess. As others found you have to cancel the subscription and remove the hub and cameras, I also reset the hub to be safe. The specific steps I went through were, 

- Cancelling the subscription on my account and removing the arlo hub ultra and all camers except the arlo baby camera 

- Tried to reconnect the Arlo Hub Ultra, surprise, wasn't working! Discovery on mobile and web was timing out.

- Reset the hub. Still nothing. 

- Called tech support, since the web talk live wouldn't work on my browser. Someone did pick up quick, suprisingly, if I'd of known that I would of called from the beginning. 

- Tech support confirmed you have to remove the hub, although, they did mention you could call and they would likely be able to do it over the phone too. 

- Anyhow, tried discovery, still didn't work on mobile phone (Pixel 3) then tried through web again. Realized I was connected to a virtual network (work) and when I disconnected it did work. 

- As soon as arlo ultra hub was found I was automatically enrolled in the premier for a year. 

One thing support did mention is the old pro 2 camera's would not work with the new arlo ultra hub. But they work with the new hub, at least they do for now. 

Thanks all for the help, hopefully this will help others going through this. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

kwatts,

I apologize for the painful experience. I'm glad to hear you're up and running now though and just to add clarity, any previous generation Arlo wire-free camera absolutely will work and is supported with your SmartHub.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation