Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

4K only available with subscription and hardwire?

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Flex1493
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi everyone I’m not the only with issue.

I’m reading the features on the 4K FYI think the 4K is only available recalled it the way subscription or it Hass to be hardwired please correct me if I’m wrong about this.

I only really need the system to alert me if someone approaches my house I was wondering do you guys think is the 4K worth the extra money thanks for any help and advice that any want to give me

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

If your just looking for a more basic system without the higher end features, then there is nothing wrong with the Pro2 system. It detects people at about the same max range.

If at a later date you want more, the cameras will work with the Ultra system.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

If your just looking for a more basic system without the higher end features, then there is nothing wrong with the Pro2 system. It detects people at about the same max range.

If at a later date you want more, the cameras will work with the Ultra system.

Flex1493
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hey thanks for the advice I appreciate it not to mention I keep hearing that there’s issues with the 4K at the moment I just did not want to regret it down the road not getting them so I was a little confused about which ones should I purchase
brh
Master
Master

@Flex1493 

The Ultra system is a step up from the Pro and Pro2 systems. You will have to decide if the 4K recordings are worth it to you to pay the extra cost of the PVR for each camera that you wish to record 4K on. The Zoom and Track feature does not work with 4K. The Siren is no longer included in the base, but instead, it is in the camera itself and the volume is pathetic.

That being said, the built in spotlight with color recordings and the Zoom and Track features, the larger battery and automatic selection between 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz deoendibg on signal strength is, in my opinion, a game changer even if you never use the 4K recordings. The cameras do work on batteries although for CVR and Activity Zones you will need to connect the cameras to a power source using Arlos AC adapter and magnetic cable.

I now have 5 Ultra cameras and I really like them much better than my Pro and Pro2 cameras which are quite good cameras.

I have not tried it, but The Ultra cameras will work through a window.

Brian

Flex1493
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hey Brian thank you very much for all that information makes a lot of sense I didn’t even think of the option of using it through the window which is actually the front of the house is where I wanted to put two of the cameras now this actually makes my decision a little different because I was hoping to put cameras in the window if this is the case do you think I should go with the 4K instead should I let the fact that I can use them in the window be my decision for them thanks again for all your information buddy and help
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

For clarity, Arlo Ultra will not detect through a window. Please see this thread for more information: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Ultra/Does-Arlo-Ultra-detect-through-windows/m-p/1687632#M2186

JamesC

brh
Master
Master

@Flex1493@JamesC ,

Sorry, My bad. I had read in one of the reviews that the Ultra would work through glass. As I said, I have not tried this.

Brian

Flex1493
Aspirant
Aspirant
Well once again guys thanks again I was under the impression that it will work through a window if that’s the case then I guess I will stick with the Arlo pro 2
Flex1493
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hey guys thanks again for the help and advice.

I pick up the pro 2 and at the moment it was very easy to set up after a firm wear update.
? I want to give my wife access but only to view the footage is there way to do this.

Thanks for any help and advice
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Flex1493 wrote:
Hey guys thanks again for the help and advice.

I pick up the pro 2 and at the moment it was very easy to set up after a firm wear update.
? I want to give my wife access but only to view the footage is there way to do this.

Thanks for any help and advice

Start here:

Arlo | Support | Default

Get the manual for your device.

Read the section Grant access to friends.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Flex1493
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks buddy
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

@Flex1493 wrote:
Well once again guys thanks again I was under the impression that it will work through a window if that’s the case then I guess I will stick with the Arlo pro 2

FYI, the Q camera is the only one that works thru glass as it uses pixel detection( tho you can't use the IR night vision as it reflects off the glass ). ( pics thru double pane anderson window )

If you have outdoor lighting, the Q works well even at night.

Capture meta data2.JPG

Capturelight.JPG

Flex1493
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hey thanks for the info. I’m going to pick one up as well.

I pick up a 2 camera set but still want one for the windaw
Flex1493
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hey I just my quick start guide and there’s no info on how to give access to my wife.

I’m going to look it up online and see if I can find something.

Thanks
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Go to settings... Grant access ( follow instructions ), send to other email invite

Flex1493
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hey thanks. One last ? The person I allow access to. Will there be able to Delete recordings. Or will they just be able to only view
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Try and read thru the FAQs...almost all questions have been answered before

Go by the SUPPORT Articles

https://kb.arlo.com/1103229/What-privileges-do-my-friends-have-when-I-grant-them-access-rights-in-my...

Flex1493
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you very much.
st_shaw
Master Master
Master

@brh wrote:

@Flex1493

Sorry, My bad. I had read in one of the reviews that the Ultra would work through glass. As I said, I have not tried this.

Brian

The Ultra used to detect motion through glass when on AC power. This was just changed in a recent firmware release.  

Flex1493
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for the info. I pick up the pro 2’s I think there great for what I need them for.

Now I’m trying to figure out we’re to mount them. Lol
Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation