Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Blue Charging Light. How can I tell batteries are fully charged/faulty?

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
DesertCasa
Guide
Guide

Just received Ultra 2 two camera system with XL batteries.  First course of action was to charge both batteries using the provided wall charger.  After more than 6+ hours (each) I did not get a “battery” fully charged solid blue LED indication light, for either battery.  Before I go through the process of setting up the whole system/base unit, how can I tell if the batteries are fully charged or faulty.  Is my understanding that a solid blue means the battery is fully charged incorrect?  If the blue light assumption is not valid how do I know when the batteries are fully charged. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DesertCasa
Guide
Guide

Talked with an Arlo tech and was informed that the solid fully charged blue light does come on at 100% charged, but also goes out after some period of time. So if you charge the battery for several hours it may be out when you return. Have since charged the battery and the fully charged blue light came on at 100%.  Did not wait around to see if it indeed goes out after a period of time.  

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DesertCasa wrote:

Before I go through the process of setting up the whole system/base unit, how can I tell if the batteries are fully charged or faulty.  Is my understanding that a solid blue means the battery is fully charged incorrect?  If the blue light assumption is not valid how do I know when the batteries are fully charged. 

FWIW, it could also be a faulty charger or cable.  But sometimes the XL batteries can take quite a while to charge.

Are you seeing a brief blue LED light when you first connect the charger?

One option is to attempt to on-board the cameras anyway, as you don't really need a fully charged battery to do that.  If that succeeds, you'll be able to see the charge level in the app (or on a PC by browsing to my.arlo.com)

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's been my experience that XL-size batteries take AT LEAST 6 hours to charge. Try more time if you don't set the system up first so you can see the percentage.

DesertCasa
Guide
Guide

I guess I should have said that I actually charged one camera/battery overnight and the second camera/battery for over 6 hours.  I checked as suggested and found that each time I attach the magnetic plug to the camera I get a flashing blue light on both cameras.  It flashes for about 2 seconds then goes out and stays out.   As for a bad cable or charger how can that be verified without exchanging both or either.  

When you say “on board the camera’s”, I’m new to Arlo, but I assume that means I should go ahead and set up the base unit, try to pair the camera’s and then see what the Arlo app reports re: the battery charge level.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The initial blue blinking when connecting power is simply the camera detecting the power connection. You should get the same thing when first inserting the battery. You can try a difference AC charger that provides the same output as the Arlo one to see if there's a difference. Also, wipe both side of the magnetic connection to ensure a proper electrical connection.

Yes, onboarding means setting up the system normally. Claim the hub and then connect the cameras to it.

DesertCasa
Guide
Guide

Don’t have a different charger to test so I guess I’ll go forward with setting up the hub and cameras. Hopefully, the Arlo app will give me some info re: batt charge level. Have to say however, having a missing charge level indicator from the get go, doesn’t give me a lot of confidence in Arlo products. 

That said, thanks for your input. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You don't have a cell phone or tablet charger that could be used as a test?

DesertCasa
Guide
Guide

Talked with an Arlo tech and was informed that the solid fully charged blue light does come on at 100% charged, but also goes out after some period of time. So if you charge the battery for several hours it may be out when you return. Have since charged the battery and the fully charged blue light came on at 100%.  Did not wait around to see if it indeed goes out after a period of time.  

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation