Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Jankovichs
Apprentice
Apprentice
Arlo ultra cameras suddenly started recording on every movement like 100 meters Away from cameras, any movement even if its not heat related... couple days it was working fine now it records every single movement no matter how far object from camera is ! In day time it works as normal in night time it records everything no matter the distance
196 REPLIES 196
Whops
Apprentice
Apprentice

That is great analogy!

@FrankRN wrote:
Who are we supposed to DM? And where?

I manage the Emergency Department at a large teaching hospital. I'm going to recommend that we save time and money by having patients DM us instead of wasting our time by showing up at the door. Or, even better, just tell them that their shortness of breath is not a widespread problem and difficult to diagnose. But we'll get back to you when we figure it out.

Why can you run your business like this, then show up at my business and demand better service than you are willing to provide?

Whops
Apprentice
Apprentice

At least he is in USA    But based on past results I am very skeptical

Whops
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am with you,   even sending tweets to CEO,  (no response to me)  all the comments on here but no results,  Posted on BBB,  response was same bull sh*t,  aware of problem working on it, and sent me new case number.   I have started to research some other web sites and public forums to post on.   one idea is under comments for people that write reviews,  just do a search for Arlo Ultra reviews  and then leave comments about the review exposing the truth about Arlo.   plus there are some sites out there like the link below.

FrankRN
Guide
Guide
I've seen a couple people riff about lawsuits. Unfortunately, buy using the product and software, we have all given away our right to join a class action lawsuit. We have also given away our right to file any lawsuit individually. Your only legal remedy is binding arbitration. And, if I'm. Not mistaken, (icoukd be on this point) Arlo gets to pick the "neutral" arbitrator.

If you REALLY want to take that route, your best bet is the attorney generals office. If you can get them interested (good luck) they can file an action that a company would then have to take seriously. And it would likely get picked up by the news since the AG generally puts out a press report on such things.

One more note.... These binding arbitration clauses for products, services, and now even at your job used to be unenforceable. You can thank Republicans and the new improved SCOTUS for taking this remedy away from all Americans. Something to think about
Tech-D
Luminary
Luminary

Did you make any changes in the app or did this just start on it's own?

Here is something that worked for me.

I disabled Record Locally on my unit, removed both my cameras and performed a factory reset of the base station.

Since my cameras don't have power connected to them I took a USB power bank and used that as a power source and connected the USB power bank and the power cable to one of the units.  I then re-added the camera in kept all the defaults when adding the camera.  I went directly in and setup my activity zone for the camera, and then performed these steps for my 2nd camera.

I haven't gone in tweeked any settings since adding the cameras and the cameras are recording as they should.  They only alert when there is activity in the activity zone.

Once again this is not a fix but might be able to help those till the fix is released by Arlo.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The development team is hard at work to resolve these reported issues. I do not have an ETA for a fix to be released but will provide an update as soon as I have more information.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused and appreciate your patience while we work to resolve these issues.

JamesC

Rickp703
Tutor
Tutor

Just received this....  We will see !!!

I am happy to report that the Field Trial version of our firmware is available for both our VMB5000 SmartHub and VMC5040 Ultra Cameras. As we have discussed previously, I have set your devices to use the Field Trial version. The Field Trial should help to correct the excessive motion alert issues you have been experiencing, as well as some other bug fixes.

To update to the Field Trial: Please reboot your SmartHub, and allow the firmware to update. The firmware typically takes around five minutes total to update. After rebooting, the SmartHub will go to a flashing Blue/Orange light while updating. The SmartHub will automatically reboot (orange light) after updating, then should go online. Your cameras will also get a firmware update as well, which will help to resolve excessive motion detection issues. The camera updates should happen automatically.

You will know the devices are on the correct firmware when their versions are:

SmartHub: 1.15.0.4_297_aa40f04

Camera: 1.070.50.1_202_9f94bd1

If you decide that you would like to revert away from the Field Trial, or if you experience any new issues, please let me know. The Field Trial contains bug fixes, but has not yet been fully tested for public release, so unexpected issues may occur.

If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me directly.

Thank you,

Mark

Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
I have this experimental firmware on my VMB5000 SmartHub and both Ultra cameras as of this morning also! I’ll be monitoring closely and reporting back to Arlo.

I also have an experimental firmware on my VMB4000 base station to fix the issue with AC powered Pro 2 cameras freezing 10-15 seconds into the video recordings. Hoping that one is fixed too!
Whops
Apprentice
Apprentice

I assume that this update is only going to people that DM the CEO Matthew McRae with their base S/N? 
Not available to all of us yet?    Is that correct?   As we do not have Mark's email address,  and rebooting the base did not update my firmware. 

Also,  I am assuming by your message from Mark,  This is not addressing the activity zone issues,  or the 1/4 view of upper left of the camera view that is so messed up.   Only changing the motion detection to reduce all the alerts we now get..  So are they reducing the sensitivity of the motion detection?
@Rickp703 wrote:

Just received this....  We will see !!!

I am happy to report that the Field Trial version of our firmware is available for both our VMB5000 SmartHub and VMC5040 Ultra Cameras. As we have discussed previously, I have set your devices to use the Field Trial version. The Field Trial should help to correct the excessive motion alert issues you have been experiencing, as well as some other bug fixes.

To update to the Field Trial: Please reboot your SmartHub, and allow the firmware to update. The firmware typically takes around five minutes total to update. After rebooting, the SmartHub will go to a flashing Blue/Orange light while updating. The SmartHub will automatically reboot (orange light) after updating, then should go online. Your cameras will also get a firmware update as well, which will help to resolve excessive motion detection issues. The camera updates should happen automatically.

You will know the devices are on the correct firmware when their versions are:

SmartHub: 1.15.0.4_297_aa40f04

Camera: 1.070.50.1_202_9f94bd1

If you decide that you would like to revert away from the Field Trial, or if you experience any new issues, please let me know. The Field Trial contains bug fixes, but has not yet been fully tested for public release, so unexpected issues may occur.

If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me directly.

Thank you,

Mark

Rickp703
Tutor
Tutor

@Whops 

I do not have Matthew McRae's email either, I have sent him about 5 - 7 nasty Direct Messages via Twitter.  His Twitter account details are shown throughout this posting... Several have discussed the need to complain to him directly, and I have done so - you can (and you should) too!  Actually, I think the Pres is totally a coward - he asked for my Hub Serial number & hasn't responded yet, all I now is he pushed my complaints to the Level 3 tech who is stuck dealing with this mess.... No response from the guy (although he has time to say "Thanks" to people who say "aw, it's OK Arlo that my cameras are screwed up..... You fix them whenever you want (paraphrasing, but certainly the message).  BS Fix this stuff NOW !!!  Whops - Get on this dude's Twitter feed & dont stop!  This is NOT acceptable; all users spend alot of $$$ and the expectation is a working product - or timely solution when things go bad.

PS- Who knows if this firmware will even fix things ??  We'll see ......  

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

We are aware of a small number of users who have been negatively impacted due to recent Ultra FW releases. This resulted in false motion detection events, inconsistent activity zone behavior and SmartHub devices dropping offline. The development team is actively testing a firmware fix to address these concerns. Arlo would like to thank the users who have been working with our engineering team to provide field data to help us better understand what users are experiencing.

We will continue to update you on the progress and appreciate your patience while we work to deliver the fixes.

JamesC

Danielnz
Guide
Guide

@JamesC 

And yet noone has taken the time to contact me.  All promises and no action.  You may as well just release the firmware to all of us on here as it can't be any worse than what we have got currently!

Whops
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Rickp703
Hey Dude!   I was one of the original ones that posted Matthew McRae Twitter link here,  and yes I have left him twitter messages as well as DM.   I never had a twitter account before,  but signed up just so I could send him Messages.  However, I have never heard back, and now Twitter is not allowing me to log in.   So in my frustration I filed a BBB compliant,  I have talked to support from that compliant today.   He told me he was the highest tech support,  and that in a day or two they would be pushing out new firmware.  He told me he would contact me again to let me know when they are pushing it out.    I think that the fact this problem is becoming more public,  has pushed them to get the fix out quicker.   While the excuse has been something to do with Netgear Arlo Split,  did make sense to me.  (In regards to rolling back to previous firmware)   At any rate,  I will give them the couple of days then escalate my complaints to making comments on all the websites that are giving Arlo Rave reviews.  Warning potential buyers to look elsewear.  The people that write reviews are compensated,  and unless they install the equipment and use it daily are not aware of the issues that happen like bad updates.  So comments from users helps to make these issues more aware.   And there are a lot of people doing that.
@Rickp703 wrote:

@Whops 

I do not have Matthew McRae's email either, I have sent him about 5 - 7 nasty Direct Messages via Twitter.  His Twitter account details are shown throughout this posting... Several have discussed the need to complain to him directly, and I have done so - you can (and you should) too!  Actually, I think the Pres is totally a coward - he asked for my Hub Serial number & hasn't responded yet, all I now is he pushed my complaints to the Level 3 tech who is stuck dealing with this mess.... No response from the guy (although he has time to say "Thanks" to people who say "aw, it's OK Arlo that my cameras are screwed up..... You fix them whenever you want (paraphrasing, but certainly the message).  BS Fix this stuff NOW !!!  Whops - Get on this dude's Twitter feed & dont stop!  This is NOT acceptable; all users spend alot of $$$ and the expectation is a working product - or timely solution when things go bad.

PS- Who knows if this firmware will even fix things ??  We'll see ......  

srandall25
Apprentice
Apprentice

I appreciate the update James but I don’t believe this is only effecting a small number of users. This not only effected my original Ultra base station, but also the replacement one sent to me as well as the brand new one I purchased for my mother. This is a wide spread issue with all Ultras unless there is a reason for certain Ultra base station hardware to be different than others. I’ve seen countless messages and tweets on this issue. Let’s please not minimize the impact that this is having on most if not all Ultra users.

Nathan-aus
Apprentice
Apprentice

A small number of users? The number of comments on this thread and other places suggest its not. Please continue to provide us with regular and meaningful updates. It's quite frustrating that we are close to the holiday period and the cameras still can't be used properly. 

surfer1000
Luminary
Luminary
Wow my system is back working today with the new beta firmware, the 2 issues I have so far are the 1/4 screen view on activity setting and the only 1 of 4 ultras that is mains powered is constantly recording 5.05 lengths of video and advising different types of motion and animal I don't even have switched on!
FrankRN
Guide
Guide
I finally received a response from support after tweeting @mbmcrae. They opened a ticket and contacted me. Been trying to respond but can not because of an Arlo server issue. Seriously? I'd say this is priceless... Except it cost me almost $2k. Get your act together!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

There is still another firmware update on the way for Ultra cameras to address the other issues mentioned here. The firmware update that arrived this morning for the SmartHub addresses the crash issue that results in the SmartHub dropping offline. I will provide more information when the additional fixes are available soon.

JamesC

JJAdV
Apprentice
Apprentice

Can you add the firmware file names to you posts, and the release notes.

robot-monster
Star
Star
UGH. Pixelation issue for CVR enabled camera is back now in the last hour. That was the one upside of the 12/2 update🤣

Latest firmware installed on my base station this morning 1.15.0.4_297_aa40f04
Jankovichs
Apprentice
Apprentice
Same here, it didn't even get fixed properly when they ruined it again! Bunch of clowns i cant cope with this no more! Our systems we paid big money for are used to test their unskilled work!
Plus Now My cameras has an issue that they records at night in half night vision half color.... basically half of video picture is grey half is colored !
My patience is just about to explode
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The major issues being discussed in this thread have been resolved with the most recent Ultra Camera and SmartHub firmware updates. Please check here to make sure your systems automatically updated to the latest versions:

Arlo Ultra VMC5040 - 1.070.50.2_205_0c7c8e1 - 19th December 2019

Arlo SmartHub VMB5000 - 1.15.0.4_297_aa40f04 - 18th December 2019

If you're having a different issue, please open a new thread here in the community, reach out to me in a private message directly or contact support to further investigate: Arlo Support Team

A big thanks to the community for helping our engineering team troubleshoot these issues and thank you for your patience while we worked to release these updates.

JamesC