Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo ultra local recording

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 In Conversation
rinku2012
Tutor
Tutor
Hello

I am planning to buy total 6 arlo cameras (3 ultra and 3 pro2 )
I dont want to spend thr money on all 6 ultra cameras.
My question here is can i locally record using external usb connected to base station or should i buy sd card for all 6 cameras ?
Will 1 base station be enough for all 6 cameras ( 3 ultra and 3 pro2)
Will my setup works ?

Since i am planning to install 2 cameras outside , do i need to get the additional wire that arlo sells for ultra
I want to purchase batteey charger as well. Do i need to purchase seperate charger for arlo pro2 and ultra ?
9 REPLIES 9
Streak2
Master Master
Master

There is no SD card slot in the cameras.

One SD card in the Ultra base or a memory stick in the Pro2 base will record all cameras attached to either base.

You could use 1 base for all 6 cameras.

It would make most sense to get 2 complete systems, Ultra with base and cameras and Pro 2 with base and cameras. This could give you both range, subscription and feature benefits.

The Pro 2 and Ultra cameras use different batteries and charging cables. 

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

My Pro 2 base has two USB slots, not just the one.

@Streak2 wrote:
It would make most sense to get 2 complete systems...

But in that configuration you could not get the Pro 2 cameras to interact with the Ultra camers, and vice versa.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If the same thing holds true for adding an Ultra base/system to an exisiting one as has been true for the older systems, you can use cameras across bases in your modes and rules. I don't have a way to test that at the moment - perhaps someone who has both installed on one account can verify this.

Streak2
Master Master
Master

Yes you can use cameras across bases including the Ultras which I have tested to work.

It's only if the OP decides to register one of the bases under a separate account that he will not be able to share. 

zincyellowcobra
Luminary
Luminary

@rinku2012 wrote:
Hello

My question here is can i locally record using external usb connected to base station or should i buy sd card for all 6 cameras ?
Will my setup works ?

Since i am planning to install 2 cameras outside , do i need to get the additional wire that arlo sells for ultra
I want to purchase batteey charger as well. Do i need to purchase seperate charger for arlo pro2 and ultra ?

DONT DO IT! Save your money. Purchase the Pro 2 only. Let Arlo work through the bugs in the Ultra cams. Not ready for prime time! 

rinku2012
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks a lot everyone for responding to my query. after seeing all the replies what i understood is, i can buy both the devices with base stations and create 2 seperate accounts to enable cameras ?

or will both base stations talk to each other ( without creating seperate accounts ) ?

Streak2
Master Master
Master

Using 1 account you will get full functionality across all cameras and bases.

Using 2 accounts and the grant access feature you will get limited access as follows.

You will still be able to see all the cameras and their recordings.

The main reason to use 2 accounts/bases is to get free cloud recording for more than 5 cameras.

Otherwise just pay the monthly fee to allow cloud recording on more than 5 cameras and just use one account.

Check the fine print for the Ultra cameras, 4k recordings, subscriptions as there are some changes with the Ultra system.

https://kb.arlo.com/1103229/What-privileges-do-my-friends-have-when-I-grant-them-access-rights-in-my...

Dymo33
Star
Star

@zincyellowcobra wrote:

@rinku2012 wrote:
Hello

Will my setup works ?

DONT DO IT! Save your money. Purchase the Pro 2 only. Let Arlo work through the bugs in the Ultra cams. Not ready for prime time! 

I concur 100%. The reviews for the Ultra have been bad on Youtube, and the Pro2 is their best camera at the moment by far. The free cloud recording alone makes all the difference.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

We've heard your concerns and have an exciting announcement based on your feedback. Take a look here for more information: Local and Remote Access to Local Storage for Arlo Ultra via Arlo App Expected in Second Half of 2019

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 In Conversation