Idea for making local 4k content available

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary

This idea is a interesting one but i woud love to try it.

1. Get a Micro SD Card convert cable to SD like this one

2 Get a Wifi SD Card that can can be mounted remotely

3. Get a 3D printed stand to give the Smarthub a little bit more height to remove stress from the Converter cable.

4. Use a software like MCE Buddy to pull the videos from the WIFI mounted storage and put on local server.

5. Use a software like Plex Media Server to then stream the video to any of your own devices.

If this actually works then you could have 4k content on your own local server and stream it to any device you want with plex. It has been working with 4k for a while

7 REPLIES 7
zincyellowcobra
Luminary
Luminary

Truly interested to know if this would work...... 

Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary

I am 100% positive that Plex and the MCE Buddy i mentioned will work. I have setup that exact scenerio for other things in the past. I just don't know about the WIFI SD CARD thing. It looks promisig from what I see on Amazon, but not sure.

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

Interesting idea. If you're talking about one of the SD cards that is essentially a tiny Linux computer with SD storage and its own WiFi access point built-in, then yes, I believe this would work for providing wireless access to the Arlo videos.  At least via a web browser, or whatever method the device is programmed to support. The range and speed would likely be pretty poor.  Whether you can access it other ways, e.g. as a shared network drive, depends on much access the card gives you to the underlying Linux OS. It would probably require some "hacking" to set it up too.

Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary

Toshiba Wifi Flashair card configuration guide to setup for mounting as drive

So there are directions to what looks like the best option to test with this idea. The card could be 64 GB and U3 speed, and based on those directions could be mounted as a mapped drive atleast with anything that supports WebDEV.

I am kind of itching to try this. Even if it is just with the older base station and a USB adapter to connect it to the station.

Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary

I see what you mean about transfer speed. It looks like it isn't great. and is largely dependent on range. This is probably related to the low amount of power being applied to the card. The Toshiba one i am point out looks like at 3 meters it is down to about 3mbps and at best is limited to about 100mbps in perfect conditions. So that begs another question how far away is the Arlo Smarthub going to be from the closes access point. In my case i have a Google wifi near by so not that far at all, but that would obviously vary from user to user.

This also means for viability we really need to know what the approx size is of each video produced from the system would be. It may work for 2 cameras but not be really work able for much more. It is also good to realize that the SD Card itself would act like a cache, so a short delay may not be that detrimental. It would be nice if Arlo would just let us turn on a option to put the video on a remote storage device with regular network mounting options. That can't be that hard.

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

Yes. I was referring to the WiFi transfer speed. Limited power and no room for a decent antenna.

My Ultra cam has been recording at 1.8 Mbps in 4K mode.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

We've heard your concerns and have an exciting announcement based on your feedback. Take a look here for more information: Local and Remote Access to Local Storage for Arlo Ultra via Arlo App Expected in Second Half of 2019

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation