Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 9 In Conversation
Brent-Arlo
Tutor
Tutor

Hi all,

Has anyone successfully connected the Arlo Ultra with a Netgear M1 router?

Thanks in advance

14 REPLIES 14
st_shaw
Master Master
Master

Until new firmware is released for the older bases, the Ultra cannot even connect with the older Arlo bases, so it's highly improbable it can connect with the M1.

kskenyon
Tutor
Tutor

Any idea when this firmware update will be available? I have an ultra camera that can't be used with my MR1100 in a remote location now.  Need to make a alternative purchase decision soon.  Didn't buy the Ultra Smart Hub because I didn't think I would need it.  Another piece of hardware that should not be necessary.  No warnings that the Ultra was not compatible with exisitng Arlo systems.  Not good.

Unhappy customers want to know.

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

I think you should plan on either buying the SmartHub or returning the Ultra then. The Ultra hub is required to get 4K video and there's little reason to buy the Ultra if you don't activate 4K.

kskenyon
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks, I can't wait so I'll buy an Arlo Pro 2 and use it with my MR1100.  No problems with that working as far as you know?

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

sorry, but I don't have any experience with Arlo and the MR1100. I think now that NETGEAR and Arlo split there's less chance of things playing well together. I would suggest checking with NETGEAR to make sure there are plans for the MR1100 firmware to be updated to support the Ultra, if that's something you need.

DamianR
Apprentice
Apprentice
Agreed.
I would like to be able to run an ultra directly via my M1 as well, although I think the data usage would be a killer.
Currently I use just an older Pro on it and even then the M1 has the unsolved issue of battery going flat and switching off even when AC powered.
If you really need to run via the M1 , buy/add the Ultra base. The benefits of the Ultra make it worthwhile. (Spotlight, night vision, audio, 4k)
st_shaw
Master Master
Master

I don't think it's a great idea to use an Arlo system with an LTE modem, unless you don't mind paying huge data fees.  The Ultra streams at up to 5 Mbps, which is about 2.2 Gigabytes/hour per camera.

It seems odd that NETGEAR would choose an LTE router for integration.

Brent-Arlo
Tutor
Tutor
my use case would be using the Arlo/M1 combination at an airbnb or rental place but connect it to their wifi via network cable. The M1 can be setup to failover so if wired drops out then the 4G will kick in as a backup.

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

If you have a wired connection as primary and the LTE is only backup, then it would be OK.

SecBust
Star
Star
Well, I guess this set up works, but you will have issues as Arlo won't update the software in the mr1100. Things like no more than 5 cameras synchronised even with a subscription, new cameras may not sync, can't use app to sync cameras, failures to go live, battery drain, Arlo software in mr1100 crashes requiring a manual reboot of the mr1100... So you might be in for a world of pain.
Retired_Member
Not applicable

i have connect arlo ultra with my Netgear M1 router sucessfully and

@Brent-Arlo  schrieb:

Hi all,

Has anyone successfully connected the Arlo Ultra with a Netgear M1 router?

Thanks in advance

i will try it better to morrow. /H

avenuejco
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi all,

Why keep removed Netgear MR1100 as a base station option in arlo home ?? This is very troublesome for end user using arlo camera on remote site. The option was available occasionally, despite enabled arlo camera on Netgear MR1100, "MY ARLO" option was not working, few months ago it leads to play store with error and now infinite loading. Why make connection so complicated ? this is not a low cost product, we changed all 25 sets of arlo base station to Netgear MR1100 and suddenly the option disappeared without notice ? Please look into this matter seriously and bring back the Netgear base station option immediately. Thanks

CaptianDave
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have exactly the same problem.  We are trying to get Arlo Ultra to work on our boat and have unlimited AT&T bandwidth on our Nighthawk M1 (grandfathered account).   It is exceedingly frustrating that the Netgear UI on both the app and the web allows enabling Arlo and also even adding cameras yet the association with the Arlo account does not exist.  In the Nighthawk Mobile app, when we get to that point it sends us to the Arlo app where the Youtube videos show that their UI removed the M1 option.

The M1's User Guide says that the ethernet port does not allow hosts connected to it to SEND (only receive), so the only option according to their guide is to connect the Arlo base to a WiFi extended with an ethernet and configure it like a house.

Really?  Did Arlo and Netgear have a falling out?

dcfox1
Master
Master

Arlo spun off from Netgear years ago. 

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 9 In Conversation