Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
StevenB101
Aspirant
Aspirant
After nearly but nothing quite a year of the camera being mounted outside there appeared to be an error with the camera and the app kept telling me the battery is dead; strange, and when I plug it in it instantly shows 89% and charges to 100% in no time. Whilst on charge the camera heats up and the picture goes very cloudy! This is odd as it’s never done it before and neither of the other cameras do it. I inspected the inside and there is water inside and behind the battery; so again weird as I charge the camera in situ and don’t open the case at all; so can only think it’s from the thread; which I can work around eventually.

With that in mind, I have an expensive camera that fails to connect to my base station; and when it does it disconnects after a few days with “dead battery”. Oh and before you think it’s the battery; I’m already ahead of you, I swapped out the battery from another camera and it has the same issue….

So what’s my beef? Arlo customer support is; I don’t like to moan publicly as it’s unfair and normally when seen it’s very biased and not representative, but this time it’s needed.

I opened a case online and after many days it was requested to send some photos and extra information; such as serial number and my address (excellent they are going to replace the camera under warranty.. or so I thought) many days passed and I have heard nothing back so I tried to call and three times in a row was cut off after being on hold so I went online and chatted to someone online.. I have the original reference and asked them to check; they did and was told that they would escalate it for me.. excellent.. except within a few hours I was sent a new reference and asking me for exactly what I’ve sent already.

So my question is; why is the customer experience so poor with customer service? The product is really good (one camera aside) and would easily recommend it!

I read on other threads that other people suffer from the same issue with the cameras and potentially an issue with seals or even a defect where the thread joins the camera body; either way a replacement under warranty shouldn’t be complicated.

For new customers reading this; don’t let this message put you off buying the product; genuinely they are good!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StevenB101
Aspirant
Aspirant
Amazingly enough I have replacements on route. The camera battery arrived a few days ago and tracking of the camera sees it will be here within a few hours. Arlo even have given me all the stuff to send them back the faulty camera.

It does sadden me a little knowing that it was prompted by such a public “complaint”; but all in all I’m back to loving the product and liking the service.

Going forward I think Arlo should consider looking at how they service customer issues and their communications.

Happy again; Case closed

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

not an answer to your service issues...

but, I would take the camera and get it dried out ( remove battery first ) ... first a hair dryer and then overnight in the bag of rice trick ( like a cellphone )... Then check carefully the o-ring and  if you have it a wipe of silicon grease on the o=ring before putting back together.  This worked for me and the o-ring seal was the issue.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
StevenB101
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi TomMac

So I haven’t used anything other than fresh air for a few days to dry it out, I don’t want to do anything to invalidate the warranty so just waiting for the sadly poor service to get in touch. The thing doesn’t even turn on at the moment.

Maybe @JamesC or other moderators can assist. 42667174

Thanks for the advice though
Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
It's good that TomMac is offering help, but really, those kinds of tricks were maybe ok
last century with some early products appearing on the market and failing soon after. With an expensive system like Arlo, you shouldn't have to be doing any of that at all.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

To a point, that's true but the user also has to take care to not damage, displace or lose the seal as well as to ensure the cover is fully closed. With the tight fits needed to prevent water intrusion, any of these can be the root cause.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

No O rings are not last century and many top level products today still use them.  One does have to be careful when when closing the Arlo after removal because the ring does easily shift.  Using the silicone or something like what is used for things like water filters is the best idea.  It helps with the seal and your not pushing against a dry rubber ring.  I use skins also because they actually cover the seal.  As for drying the rice thing has been around for awhile but I find dry-z-air that RV'ers have used for years works better.  Just ideas, just opinion

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@LandJS wrote:

One does have to be careful when when closing the Arlo after removal because the ring does easily shift.  Using the silicone or something like what is used for things like water filters is the best idea.  It helps with the seal and your not pushing against a dry rubber ring.  I use skins also because they actually cover the seal.  As for drying the rice thing has been around for awhile but I find dry-z-air that RV'ers have used for years works better.  Just ideas, just opinion

Good suggestions.

It would be nice to know of compatible O rings, as there are times when people want to replace them.

StevenB101
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hey thanks for all the responses. I would understand the issue with the rubber seals. But just under a year ago I put the camera together and it’s been there ever since and unopened, so That can’t have been an issue. 😎

Fingers crossed I get prompt warranty replacement
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Sorry we couldn't be more help but really there are only two possibilities, most likely where the o ring seats and once I did see someone say they believed it to have gotten in where the mount screws in.  Short of a cracked front or case I see no other possibilities.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

HI @StevenB101

Let me investigate this case & I will provide an update as soon as possible.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Just wanted to follow up and ask how your case is going.

Thanks

StevenB101
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi Shane

The responses are really pitiful and slow and it’s sad that I have to resort to a public forum just to get a bit of movement.

Let thing i was asked was to provide a vat receipt; no idea why as I could prove purchase but I sent it last week and now waiting for another unspecified time to get a reply

How difficult is it just to replace under warranty. It’s very poor service
StevenB101
Aspirant
Aspirant
Amazingly enough I have replacements on route. The camera battery arrived a few days ago and tracking of the camera sees it will be here within a few hours. Arlo even have given me all the stuff to send them back the faulty camera.

It does sadden me a little knowing that it was prompted by such a public “complaint”; but all in all I’m back to loving the product and liking the service.

Going forward I think Arlo should consider looking at how they service customer issues and their communications.

Happy again; Case closed
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

I was happy to help, I'm glad it's all working for you now.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation