Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
LJM3
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have been a loyal Arlo supporter for a few years now, happily owning the Pro2 units in my previous system.

I chose to get the Ultra models to replace the external Pro2 cameras and move the Pro2 units inside.

I have been disappointed with the Ultra models thus far. I am seeing alot of pixelation, sometimes covering the entire image; the cameras are not very responsive to motion, missing quite a bit of action within their view (and cannot adjust the zone because battery powered); the action that it does catch is cut off or cut short and, at night, frequently shows a still and several seconds of a black image, because the night vision seems to take quite a bit of time to permeate the view.

Previous Arlo units have performed much better than this and I can only hope for firmware updates that improve this performance. In the meantime, I will just hope the cameras catch the action necessary should an event occur where I need the video.

6 REPLIES 6
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

LJM3,

What does the signal strength icon show for your Ultra cameras? Some of the symptoms you describe could be related to poor signal strength/range. If you bring them close to the SmartHub (within a few feet, as a test) do you still experience the same behavior?

JamesC

bangboi
Tutor
Tutor

I am having the same issues with pixelation. Did you try your camera close to your signal feeder? I will try tomorrow.

LJM3
Aspirant
Aspirant
Signal on virtually all cameras is 2 out of 3 bars (66%). The problem still existed with a full 3 bars while charging close to the base unit and all Arlo Ultra units are experiencing this issue (5).
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@LJM3 wrote:
Signal on virtually all cameras is 2 out of 3 bars (66%). The problem still existed with a full 3 bars while charging close to the base unit and all Arlo Ultra units are experiencing this issue (5).

The pixelation is happening because there is loss on one of the connections (camera->base, or base->cloud).

If you haven't tried restarting the base, then I suggest doing that first.

Do you have a micro SD card that you can put in the base?  That would allow you to sort out if it's the camera->base or base->cloud leg.

The fact that this affects all your cameras (and happens when the cameras are powered and close) is very relevant - it rules out the cameras and their locations.  If it is the camera->base leg, it could be a defective base station.  Another possibility is wifi interference - so if the base is very close to the router (or another device like a TV), try separating them.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

So I have one that has started pixelation the last two days, it has 2 bars and is only 30 ft. from the hub, nothing has changed in 3 months with the set up.  It is pixelated both in the cloud and on SD so do I assume it's with the camera ?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@LandJS wrote:

... It is pixelated both in the cloud and on SD so do I assume it's with the camera ?

More likely there is loss on the connection between the camera and the base (despite the signal strength you are seeing).

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation