Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
ArloUltra83
Apprentice
Apprentice

This issue has been raised and closed.

I am still confused - the issue is not fixed but all discussion relating to this is closed.

Is developer aware of this issue - and are you working on a fix on next release of firmware?

Yes, I have tried positioning the camera, plug camera directly to the power source, internet speed uploads and download is strong. Expected 3 - 5 sec is ok range but not 20 plus sec to receive a notification.

10 REPLIES 10
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ArloUltra83,

With Smart analytics, it takes additional time to analyze the video prior to determining if a notification should be sent, this can cause a delay in receiving the notification. Longer recordings could also be increasing that delay. Try shortening the length of your recordings to see if you have better results.

JamesC

ArloUltra83
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi James.

First of all Thankyou for responding.

The video that is captured is very short anyhow 15 - 30-sec max. I did try to set it down to 15 sec no improvement.

In my opinion - notification on motion detection should not video recoding or completion of video recording.

I m pretty to new to Arlo Product, this is the second week of using it... though I think a lot needs to be improved.

1.  Improve lag on motion notification.

2.  Improve sensitivity to detect motion. ( Yes I have gone through the how-to best positioning of the camera)

3. Improve faster launch of the app and live stream.

4. The two-way speaker should be enabled as a live stream (to eliminate further wait time if needing to use it )

5. Should provide 7-day free cloud storage as per Pro1, and Pro2 (off course video can be set the same limit does need to be 4K)

6. Community Discussion - very confusing. 

Some issue is unanswered yet closed.

Solution or any update - there should be place at the top of discussions.

eg.  I have a discussion active regarding noise sound issue but have no idea how this is progressing and when an ETA              for a solution.

7. Announcements

Like to see a list of what your developers are working on ETA release date. ETA should be readily updated.

8. Support

Lack of contact information provided here no details of the phone number and email available.

Hope you can address these issues.

ArloUltra83
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi James,

Is there any development to improve response time for SMART alert?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ArloUltra83,

As mentioned, Smart Alerts take a longer to arrive due to the video being analyzed to determine if an alert needs to be sent or not.

You can turn off Arlo Smart for your cameras by navigating to Settings > Manage Arlo Smart > drag desired cameras to "inactive".

Once you've disabled Arlo Smart, notifications should be nearly instant but they will not indicate the type of motion detected.

JamesC

ScottLee
Aspirant
Aspirant
13 minute delay. A random person came up to our fence, put his arm over by the lock and 'hung out' for a bit before moving off. My wife and I were in the home and did not receive a Notification or Alert for 13 minutes after the fact. Plenty of time for the person to hop the fence, steal something and make a clean getaway. Unacceptable. Everything up to date. Purchased 3 days ago, Asus wifi Mesh with 198mbps wifi.
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

ScottLee can I ask what type of phone you are using for notifications

youngek
Guide
Guide
Two of my cameras alert pretty fast with smart alerts. My front door camera is ridiculously slow. I removed it from smart alerts to inactive now it does not even show up in the list of inactive cameras. Removing it did not make a difference in motion detection and I have it set to 100%. I’ve deleted the camera and readied it and it did not make a difference.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@youngek wrote:
Removing it did not make a difference in motion detection and I have it set to 100%. I’ve deleted the camera and readied it and it did not make a difference.

I think there are two issues here - one is lag, the other is missed detection.

On the missed detections, sometimes adjusting the camera position can help.  The IR detection is set to be most sensitive on the left and right edges of the field of view.  I've place my front porch camera(s) at an angle, so people do need to walk into the field of view from the side.  If that's practical for you, then you might try it.

Also, the detection is much better when the camera is AC powered.  That's not practical for me, but if you can run an outdoor charging cable to it, that is worth considering.

Range is of course also a factor - the IR motion detection range is limited to about 25 feet.  It will detect large objects (particularly vehicles) that are further away than that, but generally not people.

youngek
Guide
Guide
So motion does not really pick up head on? Only left to right? I could move my camera to try and pick up motion left to right. I do have power cables for them. I’ve already drilled the holes for them I just need to finish running them and plug them in. Is there no way to focus the motion head on like 120 degrees. For instance if some o e walks up my drive way then to my sidewalk to the front door it should be a right to left motion detected. But what happens is about 3 ft away it picks up. The motion. And yes there is a ridiculous delay getting notifications on iOS Apple devices.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@youngek wrote:
So motion does not really pick up head on? Only left to right?

The IR is much better with side-to-side.  This kb article doesn't specifically call out the ultra, but I believe it applies to all Arlo cameras.  https://kb.arlo.com/37/How-do-I-position-my-Arlo-wire-free-camera

@youngek wrote:
 I do have power cables for them. I’ve already drilled the holes for them I just need to finish running them and plug them in.

When the ultra is powered, it should also do motion detection on the actual video, and not just use the IR.  So try that next - it might be enough to allow you to use your existing camera position.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation